Do I need braces?? Would they help? I don't know what to do!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cutekiwi1045

Do I need braces?? Would they help? I don't know what to do!

#1 Post by cutekiwi1045 »

My front two teeth are like, crooked. One is in back and one is in front. I hate it! Also, I think I have TMJ. Evey morning I wake up with a head ache because I bite down on my teeth. I even do it during the day ALL the time! I think my teeth are very sensitive because of this too.

Will braces help?

Here's pics:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/ ... eth001.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a143/ ... eth002.jpg

Thanks!:

Yes, they do kind of go in toward the bottom teeth at the bottom of my top teeth. Like, if I run my finger from my top front tooth all the way down, i can feel it curve in and slant.
Last edited by cutekiwi1045 on Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SandraJones

#2 Post by SandraJones »

You have very minor issues. I don't think you really need to have anything done, but if you're hating your teeth then you should take action. :-) I'll bet you won't need braces for very long. Go get a consult ASAP and make a decision. Don't delay ! I wish I would have gotten my braces on 7 years ago when I was first thinking about it ! Delaying just meant more years of hating my teeth, nothing good came out of my procrastination.
Nov 1960: born
1973 ?: palate expander
1973-1977: braces
Aug 1981: Le Fort I, posterior impaction to correct anterior open bite and class II malocclusion
Aug 2007: braces again to correct various alignment issues and class II malocclusion

HIMgurl

#3 Post by HIMgurl »

The best thing you can do, go have an ortho consultation. Most of the consults are free depending on where you live.
I have just completed my treatment!!

ohmyjaw

#4 Post by ohmyjaw »

Your teeth look pretty good to me! However, if you don't like them, go to an orthodontist and find out what can be done. Your headaches might be alleviated with a plastic mouthgard that you wear at night. Most general dentists can make them for you.

cutekiwi1045

#5 Post by cutekiwi1045 »

Yes, they do kind of go in toward the bottom teeth at the bottom of my top teeth. Like, if I run my finger from my top front tooth all the way down, i can feel it curve in and slant.

BrandonH

#6 Post by BrandonH »

If my teeth were that straight, I probably wouldn't have wanted to get braces :)

I think you'll do fine.

ohmyjaw

#7 Post by ohmyjaw »

Consultations may be free in the US, but not in Canada (in my experience). I had several and they were about $40 or $50 each.

danish

#8 Post by danish »

From an aesthetic point of view you have nice-looking teeth. I wouldn't start orthodontic treatment if I had your teeth!!! Treatment is no walk in the park! However, if you have other issues (bite problems, headaches, etc) due to a minor crookedness I would definitely consult an ortho or two for a professional opinion.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Danish
metal braces on: 4 Oct 2007
Tx for: crowding
debonded on: 24 Jun 2009

total treatment time: 629 days

my journey ==> http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... highlight=

mottsrods

#9 Post by mottsrods »

Hi Kiwi,

Great questions, but you have to make your own mid up.....

No your teeth look really straight. But if you are grinding, this could open up a whole new sort of problems in time. Including TMJ/TMD, and eith class I and class II malaclusion.......Think if you have any problems chewing, or taking for extended periods, and so on......This could all be contributed to a 'bad bite' and can be fixed. There doesn't seem to be much crowding so it's would be a fairly str8 forward treatment, that I can see.

You have to decide if some of the things mentioned are worth seeking a consult for an actual Doc's point of view......

Good luck,

Mott
Stick a fork In me.......I'm Done!

cutekiwi1045

#10 Post by cutekiwi1045 »

ok, thank you!

SinOnYourLips

#11 Post by SinOnYourLips »

I live in the USA and the policy at my ortho's office if that:

If you are UNDER 21, the insurance covers the braces and consultation.

Over 21, and I was 21 when I went in, was $50 for the consultation and I had to pay $3,000 for braces (just the top).

:?

And about your teeth Kiwi, I say they look pretty good to me, so unless at the ortho's consultation you find out your bite is negatively affecting your teeth I say you don't need braces, maybe just an attitude adjustment instead and building your self-confidence would do the job. Good luck!

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

SinOnYourLips

#12 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Meryaten, I was just voicing MY opinion. I'm also one of those people who say "if your not happy with your nose/boobs/body, instead if going into surgery to fix it you should really think about WHY you are not happy with that and work on self esteem instead". Yes, of course I'm using a more extreme case, but its the same principle.

And you would agree we have seen cases on this forum where people after braces had come out with results they weren't happy about, and wanted their old teeth back. So there is always that possibility and one must make a decision if it's worth it.

It's up to Kiwi to decide, but the point of starting this thread was to ask of other's opinions and I put in my 2 cents.

It's great to have a difference in opinion and I think that's the essence of this forum; to share, discuss and agree to disagree. :wink:

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life