Palate Extender-Expander-Whatever!!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bbdodger

Palate Extender-Expander-Whatever!!!

#1 Post by bbdodger »

I'm 29, I've had lower braces since September. I have a crossbite, midline misalignment of 6mm, and TMJ problems.

The roof of my mouth is too narrow, and I tend to favor nesting my teeth together on the right side. This is why I'm misaligned. Yesterday I was fitted for a palate extender, and I get it in 3 weeks.

First of all, my Ortho wants me to be able to remove it, so it isn't being fixed onto my teeth. I don't know if I have that much discipline!!! Also, I'm 29 years old, and I'm afraid it will crack my bones open in order to work. I don't know, I'm just scared.

The appliance fits on three or four back teeth on each side, and is made of clear plastic. There is a bar in the middle, in which you insert a key and turn gradually. I don't know how I'm going to put it back in my mouth, if I remove it, but it's not going to be permanently fixed.

My ortho is really good! I trust him, but I'm just scared and wanting some advice from other adults who may have gone through, or are going through this too.

AliKat

#2 Post by AliKat »

Hi,

I got my expander fitted yesterday, its fixed so I cant take it out - i think if i had the option to take it out i would - Ill not lie to you, mine is really uncomfortable and its not very easy to eat or swallow with! I know its not much support but im not going to lie to you!

I will only have it in for 4 months - hopefully - but i know i need it for the rest of my teeth to fall into place so there's no point moaning about it - I wanted my teeth straightened so this is what I have to do.

Let us know what you decide to do!!

Here's a picture of mine!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... 2286-1.jpg

Expander fitted 07/01/08
1st Adj 07/01/08

Twinkletoes

#3 Post by Twinkletoes »

Hello. I've just had my braces fitted, after four months with a removable expander. I had to wear it full-time (except for cleaning) for three and a half months and then my Orthodontist let me wear it just at night-times over Christmas, so I could enjoy the Christmas food before having the braces fitted yesterday. All I can say is my expander did work very well - I gained 4mm of expansion in my upper arch, turning the key twice a week. If I'm totally honest with you, I did find it a challenge, but the worse part for me was the speaking, as I developed quite a lisp. Now my time is up with the expander I can say it was definitely worth the inconvenience, as my upper arch is a lot wider than before. Good luck with it and shout if I can give you any more advice about the expander - it sounds just the same as the one I had.

Twinkletoes

#4 Post by Twinkletoes »

Hello. I've just had my braces fitted, after four months with a removable expander. I had to wear it full-time (except for cleaning) for three and a half months and then my Orthodontist let me wear it just at night-times over Christmas, so I could enjoy the Christmas food before having the braces fitted yesterday. All I can say is my expander did work very well - I gained 4mm of expansion in my upper arch, turning the key twice a week. If I'm totally honest with you, I did find it a challenge, but the worse part for me was the speaking, as I developed quite a lisp. Now my time is up with the expander I can say it was definitely worth the inconvenience, as my upper arch is a lot wider than before. Good luck with it and shout if I can give you any more advice about the expander - it sounds just the same as the one I had.

adrienne

#5 Post by adrienne »

I think the expander you MAY be getting is called the contoured expander. I had one like that too except the caps on my teeth were silver instead of plastic.

Don't worry, its not as bad as you may think. The first week may be tough but remember of what the finished product may be :)
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

AliKat

#6 Post by AliKat »

I think most people get the expander before they get thier braces - is that correct??

Because im on such a tight timescale he but my ceramic braces on in November then my expander yesterday!!

Here's my braces pic

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg25 ... 0_2282.jpg

Expander fitted 07/01/08
1st Adj 07/01/08

sauerkraut

#7 Post by sauerkraut »

I have a fixed expander (with surgery), my younger daughter had a fixed expander without surgery, and my older daughter had a removable expander which I think sounds just like the one you're getting. So between us my family has covered most options!

I don't honestly know how expanders widen the palate in adults, but don't worry, it can't possibly exert enough pressure to break any bones! My daughter found hers very tight to put back in after she'd turned the key and once or twice we had to go back to the ortho when we couldn't get it to fit back on, but when she'd developed the knack of negotiating it on to the teeth it was fine.

Just make sure you're disciplined in wearing it for the number of hours your ortho tells you and I'm sure you'll be fine! :)

bbdodger

#8 Post by bbdodger »

The appliance is made of clear plastic that fits over my back teeth, and has a metal bar going across the top. I'm sure that's what everyone has in mind who has replied. Do you think I should ask for it to be fixed to my teeth, or do you think that it's going to be okay if it's removable?

Thanks for all your feedback so far! I'm so nervous!!!

BrandonH

#9 Post by BrandonH »

I'm 31 and I'm getting fitted for an RPE on Thursday. Mine won't be removable, but I'm not having it surgically installed. The doc said he'd expand me 8 mm (not sure how much after relapse). I get to wear and turn that bad boy for 6 months.

sauerkraut

#10 Post by sauerkraut »

bbdodger: your ortho evidently thinks the removable expander will be best for you and it sounds like you're happy with him and trust him so I would say just let him get on with it! :)

If you asked for a fixed expander I think he'd have to start all over again fitting you for a different kind. If what you're getting is like my older daughter had (which it sounds like) then I don't think you could turn the key with it in your mouth, and it isn't designed to be fixed to the teeth anyway.

I don't think you could exactly describe either kind as comfortable to wear :wink: but you do get used to it. It took my daughter a bit of practice but in the end she managed to slot her expander on and off for cleaning, winding on etc without any great difficulty. It was a bit harder to persuade her to wear it as much as she should (my younger daughter with her fixed expander didn't have any say in the matter!) but she soon learnt that if she didn't wear it enough it felt tighter and was therefore much less comfortable.

If discipline is a problem, perhaps you can work yourself out some kind of reward system: a treat for each day you accomplish enough hours wearing the thing. :)

dubnobass

#11 Post by dubnobass »

I had something very similar as a kid, and can't recall having any problems with it other than the first day when I have a vivid memory of crying over the tea-table because I couldn't eat my apple doughnut. By the next monring, I had got used to it and wore it all the time. It was a little bit tighter to put back in after I'd turned the key, but not enough to cause any pain.
Now, the headgear I was supposed to hook up to the front of it every night, I wasn't so good with that :lol:

It may be more uncomforatble as an adult because as others have pointed out, the adult palate is fused and there's only so much expansion that's possible without surgically breaking the palate again. I don't think compliance will be too much of a problem though - you do get used to removable appliances pretty quickly.
Braced May 2005
Bimaxillary surgery Aug 2007
Debraced Jun 2008

bbdodger

#12 Post by bbdodger »

actually, he says that it can be bonded onto the teeth, but in my case he's not going to do that. What he DOESN'T KNOW is that I am SOOOOO bad at wearing my removable retainer, and often misplace it. I think I'd be better off if it was bonded. He said since I'm older and more responsible, he's going to let me take it out when I need to, but I'm not sure if that's the right approach.

It IS an option to have this particular type of expander bonded,

sauerkraut

#13 Post by sauerkraut »

Ah, then it sounds like we are talking about different things. Probably best to discuss your concerns with your ortho. :)

cf13

#14 Post by cf13 »

I had mine yesterday. It is a fixed expander without surgery. But mine seems a bit different, my teeth are covered with a plastic thing. I only show my 4 frontals, maybe because I need the gap there?

It's really uncomfortable cause I can't close my mouth, my molars touch this thingy, so I almost can't eat anything.

BTW I only have two turns to the level, one in the office and one at my house, but I don't feel any pressure or pain, when they turn, well I fell a bit of pressure but one minute later, nothing. Is it normal? I'm afraid this won't work. :?

sali

#15 Post by sali »

I get my expander on thursday! I'm so nervous and excited. I'm so glad that ya'll say it's not that uncomfortable.