Spacers went on today --- braces go on in 2 weeks!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BrandonH

Spacers went on today --- braces go on in 2 weeks!

#1 Post by BrandonH »

Well, I suppose I'm official now. I have spacers. Today I had molds made, pictures taken, etc.

Next week I'll be fitted for the RPE.

The following week, the braces go on.

Soon after, the RPE goes in and I'll make 6 turns per week (2 turns on Mon, Wed, Fri) for 4-6 months. The RPE will then come off and some kind of wire / brace thing will go in my upper mouth to keep things secure.

THe spacers started bothering me an hour or so after they were put in. I didn't much like eating with them in, which is good --- I could afford to not eat so much :)

I've since take some advil liqui-gels and I feel fine.

XCrun&ride

#2 Post by XCrun&ride »

Congrats! Enjoy the braces, and take lots of pictures before they go on! :D

cosmicgirl

#3 Post by cosmicgirl »

Welcome to the club Brandon!!
Yes, those spacers will be bothering you! It's a way of preparing you for the annoyance of braces! They really made my whole mouth ache and eating became an unpleasant chore. I couldn't wait for them to be yanked out and the braces put on - which I have to say came as a welcome relief!
I'm due to have more :roll: fitted next Sat to make room for a quad helix and I am not looking forward to that one bit. :cry: But they'll only be in for a week and even I can cope with that!
Keep us posted!

acd

#4 Post by acd »

Congratulations and welcome to the Guys with Braces Club! Make sure you take some pre-braces pictures as well as 1st day pictures to use as reference points as your treatment progresses. Spacers are pretty annoying--I'm getting them for the third time at the end of the month so they can band my back molars. I put them in the 'that which does not kill me makes me stronger' category but the last time I had them I couldn't feel them after a couple of days. My son had an expander and got used to it quickly so I hope it doesn't give your too many problems.

It is definately different having so much stuff in your mouth but seeing your teeth straighten out is a great feeling.

METALMOUTHPOOH

#5 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

Welcome.... :wink:

Spacers for me so far have been the worst part.... so once u make it through this part it should be easy sailing from here.

BrandonH

#6 Post by BrandonH »

Thanks for the kind words.

Even after 1 day, I can tell the spacers are doing their job. Of course, this means that biting is no fun.

I haven't talked to anyone who said their spacers were a breeze :) Most of them have said that the braces are much easier to handle than the pesky little spacers.

Clairey Fairey

#7 Post by Clairey Fairey »

Yep, I didn't think they were has bad as I'd expected. But braces are certainly a lot more comfortable than spacers!!

BrandonH

#8 Post by BrandonH »

3 days in and biting is still crappy!

I've definitely had a shift of teeth. When I make my normal bite, things don't go where they used to.

I've eaten a lot of Chef Boyardee the last few days. . . .. soft lil' Debbie Oatmeal Creampies, too.

Has anyone else had to wear these things for 2 weeks? My ortho said nothing of taking them off on Thursday -- only that I'd be fitted for my RPE and that the braces would go on on Jan 17th.

crazybeautiful

#9 Post by crazybeautiful »

I wore them for 3 weeks, Brandon (because the RPE didn't fit on 1st attempt)- and they still hurt like bloody hell (I am very overcrowded though).

Once your teeth have moved with the space opened, the pain should decrease- but you need to chew. I found one side hurt the least, and chewed on those teeth :wink:

badbite

#10 Post by badbite »

BrandonH,m

I have had my spacers for three weeks. I am going today for my RPE. I have surgery on Friday. The spacers have been terrible. I can'rt wait to get them out. I was in extreme pain for about 1 1/2 weeks. Then for about four days They really hurt. They still ache. I do have really crowded teeth though (hence the need for surgery).

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

BrandonH

#11 Post by BrandonH »

the pressue is gone after 4 days. There still some soreness when biting down. The biggest problem is now that my teeth have shifted somewhat, my bite is not what it was 4 days ago :)

I ate chips and cheese dip today and was fine. I'd love for the ortho to put some braces on this week, but somehow I doubt it happens.

Kaluna

#12 Post by Kaluna »

I'm with you BrandonH, I got my spacers a week ago and my bite all messed up now. I can't tell if it's because my teeth have moved, if the spacers are getting in the way or a little bit of both. I get braces tomorrow and I'll be glad to see the spacers go. :)

BrandonH

#13 Post by BrandonH »

Well, today my teeth touch when I bite --- first time that's happened since the spacers went on.

Kinda funny but before the teeth that hurt were the teeth with out the spacers around them (non -molars). Now my molars (that have the spacers) hurt.

Only one more week and the metal goes on.. . . . . . my Oral B 9930 w/ ortho heads came in today :)