Does you ortho treatment include the teeth cleanings?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newguy

Does you ortho treatment include the teeth cleanings?

#1 Post by newguy »

i understand that your answer will differ from country to country and from state to state, but my assumption was that most ortho treatments included cleanings. i found out that my 3-month cleanings were not included. just wondering.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Upper and lower premolars extracted.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Uppers braced with ceramics.
Jan. 26, 2008 - Lowers partially braced with metal. Front four will be braced with ceramics (TBD).
March 22, 2008 - Lowers fully braced. Front four with ceramics.

SDFD TSchott

#2 Post by SDFD TSchott »

My cleanings are also "NOT" included here in California... you have to go from the ortho office to your detist office for cleanings...

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

carolEEna

#3 Post by carolEEna »

SDFD TSchott wrote:My cleanings are also "NOT" included here in California... you have to go from the ortho office to your detist office for cleanings...

~Tim~

Same here.

newguy

#4 Post by newguy »

ah. thanks guys.

SDFD TSchott, what a beautiful cat. which breed?
Dec. 22, 2007 - Upper and lower premolars extracted.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Uppers braced with ceramics.
Jan. 26, 2008 - Lowers partially braced with metal. Front four will be braced with ceramics (TBD).
March 22, 2008 - Lowers fully braced. Front four with ceramics.

LadyJ

#5 Post by LadyJ »

Thankfully, my dentist and orthodontist are down the hall from each other.

So the plan for my cleanings (which are not part of my ortho treatment) will be: go to ortho's office to have archwire removed, then walk down the hall for my cleaning appointment, and then back to my ortho to get the wire back in.

A lot of walking, but better than having to space it out over days like some people probably have to.
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

Miss Smiley

#6 Post by Miss Smiley »

My regular dental cleanings and ortho services are two different bills. BUT when I do have some early build up on my lowers, the ortho does go ahead and scrape it off for me.

Also, my dentist prefers that I keep my archwire in for my cleanings.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

SDFD TSchott

#7 Post by SDFD TSchott »

LadyJ wrote:
A lot of walking, but better than having to space it out over days like some people probably have to.
Hey your getting your exercise in at least :)

~Tim~

newguy, not sure what breed cat that is I found it on a smilies website :p

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

mariahfromchicago

#8 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Miss Smiley wrote:Also, my dentist prefers that I keep my archwire in for my cleanings.
same here
- mariah

nogota

#9 Post by nogota »

My cleanings are definitely not included. Right before the braces were put on the ortho used a conditioner on my teeth, but that's the extent of it.

browneyedgrl

#10 Post by browneyedgrl »

My cleanings aren't included. I just had my teeth cleaned 6 weeks ago and my braces go on tomorrow and I have another cleaning scheduled for 2 months from now.
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Chris1960

#11 Post by Chris1960 »

Cleanings not included. I think my insurance pays for one cleaning a year. But the others are on me.
Brackets off 6/5/08
Invisaligns on 7/28/08
(7 Week delay)
21 of 23 U&L (Skipped a tray/On a 10 day rotation)

Class II subdivision right
Moderate upper/lower crowding
Partial anterior crossbite
Normal overbite/overjet
Sentence: 18-20 months

danz23

#12 Post by danz23 »

Changing the subject a little...I'm looking into seeing a hygienist and was considering going to one closer to home rather than to the one at my ortho's office. Was wondering though whether most hygienists would be happy/used to treating patients with braces? Maybe it would be better to stick to one at my ortho's office since lots of people with braces see that hygienist?
Back on topic. Cleanings seem pretty expensive! I think appointments are around $100 New Zealand dollars from what I've seen. I dont mind though, because I found my teeth hard enough to keep clean when they were unbraced. Dont want to leave it much longer to have it done. Will be interested to see what exactly is done though, but i'm sure it'll be worth it!
Treatment by a Cosmetic Dentist:
1/3/07-22/11/07: removable appliances
22/11/07-10/2/09: Innovation C on uppers
8/1?/08-10/2/09: Innovation R on lowers
Ortho:
25/2/09-29/8/11: Clarity brackets

lilblackdress

#13 Post by lilblackdress »

I see an orthodontist for braces and a dentist for teeth cleanings.
So, no, my orthodontist doesn't clean my teeth.

Lisa65

#14 Post by Lisa65 »

My general dentist's hygienist does my cleanings. My ortho doesn't offer this service. I'm not sure if he will clean them when I get debraced or if I'll have to go to the dentist for it.

Rickysa

#15 Post by Rickysa »

Meryaten wrote:Well, on that score, Lisa, my ortho polished off all residual bonding material, but I still returned to my general dentist for my cleaning. I would bet this is how most orthos operate.
Yep, you won't find many (if any) orthodontists that have hygienists on staff for cleanings....some may have them for patient education, but not for cleanings....

Routine cleanings are a large part of a general dental pracitce's income....taking that away from a dentist (by offering cleanings in the ortho office) would likely not be well received by the DDS and would likely show itself by DDS's not referring their patients to that orthodontist for treatment. :)
Dr. S
-Grad of UNC Ortho '92 (research centered around ceramic brackets)