tarnish on teeth from braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ekin

tarnish on teeth from braces

#1 Post by ekin »

I have a grey tarnish on my teeth. It started about two weeks after my braces were put on. It reminds me of the grey stuff you get on your arm if you are allergic to a watch. Anyone else have this?

jennielee81

#2 Post by jennielee81 »

seeing as the brackets are made from stainless steel, I don't think it could be tarnish. The wires are sometimes nickle, but that never caused me any problems.

It doesn't brush off?? Are you eating anything that could be causing this? Maybe it's a shadow??

I'm stumped. :huh:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

ekin

#3 Post by ekin »

no i'm not eating anything that could cause staining, and it's definately not a shadow because its all over my teeth and it's kind of streaky

guess i'll find out in two days when i see my ortho

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

I have a grey tarnish on my teeth. It started about two weeks after my braces were put on. It reminds me of the grey stuff you get on your arm if you are allergic to a watch. Anyone else have this?
I have nickel allergy and what i get using a watch with Ni is a rash with blisters. I have nickel free brackets, but one of my brackets is a stainless steel one. No reaction yet, though.

Ask your ortho, maybe he/she knows.

DaisyMay66

#5 Post by DaisyMay66 »

Did you change toothpaste lately?

I had this problem while I was in braces midway through my treatment. The staining occured in the area under my archwire and was quite odd because I was getting my teeth cleaned every 4 or 5 months and never had a problem before. Apparently, some ingredients in toothpaste can cause staining in certain individuals. After switching back to my orininal toothpaste, I never had a problem again.

kndmanz

#6 Post by kndmanz »

I also have this problem, on the two teeth that don't have brackets. I have springs in my archwire over those two teeth, and I thought it might have something to do with the spring.