Archwire Configuration - What does this do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Kaluna

Archwire Configuration - What does this do?

#1 Post by Kaluna »

When I got my braces put on this Wednesday the ortho bent the archwire towards my gums by my upper and lower canines. In the flurry of everything going on I forgot to ask what purpose these bends in the archwire serve. Anyone have any ideas? Below is a photo of what I'm talking about.

Way Too Old For This

#2 Post by Way Too Old For This »

Those look like 'closing loops' to me. Those loops will close up and when they do, your teeth will move with them to close the gaps between them.
Wired on Sep 16, 2005, left canine exposed on Oct 5, 2005, at 52 years old.

pearls

#3 Post by pearls »

thats a really nice lig colour!! what's the name of it? i must give it a go when i eventually get braced.

sorry, i don't know what those loops do!

your teeth look great by the way!

pearls
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

Kaluna

#4 Post by Kaluna »

Way Too Old For This wrote:Those look like 'closing loops' to me.
Cool, thanks for the help identifying what my archwire is doing. Seems funny that the very first thing I get when I start my braces is "closing loops". :lol:
pearls wrote:thats a really nice lig colour!! what's the name of it?

Rose. I'm really happy with how the color looks. It's great on it's own and I think it looks cute with pink lip gloss too. I've even painted my nails to match. :D Plus it's just right for Valentines day. lol
pearls wrote:your teeth look great by the way!
THANKS! :-#)
bracedagain wrote:Perhaps a quick call to your ortho and they should be able to explain your wire configuration.
Yes, I'm sure they will explain it. While the ortho was adjusting the archwire he asked if I had questions and at the time I didn't fully get what it was that he was doing so I didn't ask about it. Previously I have asked questions about what his plan is and he's given me the overview; I just forgot to ask this time. Next time I go in I'll be asking lots of questions now that I know a bit more.