Time off work

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Buffy

Time off work

#1 Post by Buffy »

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice about time of work to do with extractions and braces.

My boss is quite understanding, (and getting braces soon enough himself!), so taking time off shouldn't be a huge problem.

I'm guessing I'll probably need a day off after extractions (2 teeth at a time).

Did you guys take time off work after you got braced? Do you think I'll need to?

lilblackdress

#2 Post by lilblackdress »

Buffy,

This topic has been covered before, so you may not get a bunch of replies.

Check out the posts here and here.

As I stated in one of the threads, I didn't work for several days after getting braces and I was glad I did it. I haven't had extractions, so hopefully more members will post about their experience with that. Most people don't need any time away from work as long as they have their OTC pain meds.

Buffy

#3 Post by Buffy »

In which case, my apologies for the repeat post. I didn't get any search hits, but obviously just used the wrong keywords or settings or something.

lilblackdress

#4 Post by lilblackdress »

There's no need to apologize!

I see where you only have 8 posts, so I'm assuming you're sort of new here. You're not expected to know about every post in every thread.

I only remember those posts because I replied to them. In fact, I did a search for my replies to find the threads since searching for "time" and "recovery" wasn't very useful. I'm awful at using the search tool. ;-)

The longer you hang out around here, the more you'll remember previous posts and will be able to help others. Most of us here to help, not judge.

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I would take a day off after the extractions. Especially if it's not a big deal to do so. Why not, right?

As for the day you get your braces--it depends on how you take to new stuff. Personally, I got my braces put on on a day that I normally had off, and the next day was a day that I normally had off. I did it that way on purpose so I could get used to the way they felt, eating with them, and my new smile on my own time at home rather than at work.

$urge337

#6 Post by $urge337 »

I dont know what day of the week you are getting your extractions but i had 4 extractions on the same day and i made sure i did it on a friday. I worked half a day and was back to work on that Monday. If you are doing it during the week then you can take one or two days off. =)

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

I went straight back to work after getting braces. I saw no need to do otherwise.

As for extractions, it depends on the type of extraction I guess. I had a wisdom tooth pulled during treatment; it was fully erupted and was pulled under local. I took off a couple of hours late morning and went back to work after the procedure was completed.

Kaluna

#8 Post by Kaluna »

I think as long as your job doesn't involve a lot of talking you should be fine to go back to work. Otherwise if you need/should go back in then take some pain killer and have wax ready and it shouldn't be a big deal. I took the day off after getting my braces but I really didn't need to. It was the day after that I wanted off when the mouth sores really started to kick in. :)

browneyedgrl

#9 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Buffy,

I didn't get any extractions, but I had my braces installed on a Thursday afternoon. I managed to work a half a day on Friday. I work in outside sales and went into the office to make phone calls and that was rough. It took, me about 5 full days to be able to talk well in front of customers.

Good luck!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

mary.

I would

#10 Post by mary. »

schedule a bit of time off in case you need it. I guess everyone's body reacts differently. I once had to have a tooth extracted due to a serious infection. I was very glad that I took the next day off. I wouldn't say it was painful, but it was an awkward feeling. I also found that there was some bleeding and I was glad to be able to spit and rince often. In addition, I kept a good size piece of gauze over the area which helped. Eating was a bit uncomfortable that first day so it was nice to have the day off to take it slow. By the following day I was totally comfortable to go back to work and was very glad that I had taken that day to adjust. I must admit I used the day to laze around too and the downtime was a nice break too : ) Others however would be totally comfortable going in to work the next day.

EmbraceJCT

#11 Post by EmbraceJCT »

I had 4 extractions done on Dec 28, '07 (3 were wisdom teeth, impacted; 1 was a regular tooth). There was no way I could have gone back to work after that. With all the icing and pain meds and nausea, I was out all week. Now, I had some complicating factors that made it that bad, and I'm not sure if it's worse with wisdom teeth than regular teeth, but I would definitely recommend taking the time off after extractions.

I got braced yesterday and I took the day off, although I probably didn't absolutely have to. The pain was actually almost non-existant yesterday. It really kicked in at night and today it's a lot worse. I'll probably go in for a half day this afternoon. But I'm not going to eat at work for another couple days because I still am figuring out how to eat without having all my food get trapped in my braces!

Best of luck to you! Be kind to yourself during this - if you have the ability to take time off, do it and don't feel guilty. This is something major and special that you're doing and it can be uncomfortable at times. So do whatever feels best for you.

SDFD TSchott

#12 Post by SDFD TSchott »

When I got extractions done I took the day the extractions were completed and a day after they were completed off and after that I went right back to work!

~Tim~

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

platinum

#13 Post by platinum »

I went back to work after getting one molar exctracted. I had to bite down on some material, which got bloody. I looked quite odd, but luckily in my work i dont meet too many people. I could not have talked to people with that stuff on my mouth plus the bloody thing looked scary.

Buffy

#14 Post by Buffy »

Well, extraction no.1 is over, and I'm glad it was on a Friday, because I couldn't have worked afterwards, or today...

Betty Bat

#15 Post by Betty Bat »

One aspect of extractions that I didn't see discussed in the thread is anesthetic. Depending on what you get for the extraction, you might not want to go back to work! I know that I slept for several hours after - not because of the extraction, but because I had IV sedation.