Missing molars - What did you do?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bluemoonjo

Missing molars - What did you do?

#1 Post by Bluemoonjo »

What did you do? Or do you know of other options?

I'm getting close to the end of my treatment. I hope LOL

According to the teeth diagram they gave me. LOL

I'm missing numbers 13 and 19.

They want me to get bridges but I can't afford them ($2,237. EACH).
Didn't tell me the price of implants, but I'm sure they cost more.

I've asked about other choices, but they keep acting like I'm getting the bridges because thats what the dentist thinks is best. ykwim lol
I can't afford the bridges.

So I'm wondering about something removable, or maybe something that will just hold the space open correctly.

I'm trying to figure it out now because.... I was told about 18 months, and they where put on in Aug 06. Our tax refund will be coming back soon, and I'll need to use money from it.. or what untill next year. Although depending on costs I might have to get have now and have then anyway.

Anyone have experiance with this?

I have a phone call in to them. I'll update with what they say.

Oh and since everyone likes pictures :) I'm I'll get some new ones posted.
Mama Jo

Higgy

#2 Post by Higgy »

Hmmm with those exact teeth I can't say for sure....I'm missing the 2nd molars on the top....they were taken out at the same time as my wisdom teeth becuase the wisdom teeth grew into their roots and pretty much killed them....but since those are the very back teeth....it hasn't affected my braces at all.....let us know what you find out.

ibraceface

#3 Post by ibraceface »

I was misisng both of my second bicuspids on my bottom. I had baby teeth there. My ortho had me get those extracted, then extracted two teeth from the top... and is now closing all the gaps. I felt this was the best option for me.. as i dont have to spend any extra money on implants.

BoSox2008

#4 Post by BoSox2008 »

I am also missing one molar on the side, and do not want to go through the process of getting an implant just yet (I'm 22) but also do not want to pay thousands for a bridge.

My ortho suggested (as I had when I was younger) a small appliance that holds the space open. I do not know where your missing teeth are located... it is a band that wraps around a tooth that is next to the space with a wire shaped into a square shape that is placed over the entire space. This is called a "band and loop space maintainer" This keeps your space open and keeps other teeth from shifting into the space. This can be taken out at any time when you are ready to get an implant/bridge.

You can check the link out here:

http://depts.washington.edu/peddent/Atl ... ce014.html

or search "space maintainer" on google.com or another search engine.