Timing of extractions?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

UW07

Timing of extractions?

#1 Post by UW07 »

Hi all, I'm new to the board! I've been reading it for about two months and finally decided to join. I got Speed braces on my top on Nov. 29/07 and my bottom Speed braces were put on this afternoon.

I have a question regarding extractions... while at my first b-day, my ortho said it would be beneficial to get a top right molar extracted, as my teeth do not line up properly on the right side of my mouth. At my consultation she mentioned the possibility of this extraction, and after examining my moulds and photos, she decided that this would give me the best results and encouraged me to get the molar pulled. I was apprehensive at first, but after talking to some classmates I discovered how common extractions are and my mind was put at ease.

So, I'm fine with getting the extraction, but I'm wondering whether or not it's common to get this done in the middle of treatment (it would occur around the 9th month of treatment). Has this happened to anyone else? Or have you all had your extractions done prior to being braced? I'm just curious, as it seems that my time in braces before the extraction may be somewhat of a waste, as I expect my teeth to shift drastically after the molar is removed.

Any comments or opinions on this matter are appreciated!

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I had a lower wisdom tooth pulled 6 months into treatment. It was never on the wire, but was starting to interfere with bite closure.

loyaboya

#3 Post by loyaboya »

I'm getting braced on 2/6. I'll need to have 4 teeth extracted and my orthodontist wants them taken out in phases after the brackets are put on. I think he feels that it'll be easier on me that way and it didn't seem to affect my treatment time (same time estimate as another ortho who wanted the teeth out in advance).