New here with a question :)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

berkshirebraces

New here with a question :)

#1 Post by berkshirebraces »

Hi all, so glad I found this site! I am a soon to be 40 year old female scheduled to have my braces put on this coming Tuesday and have still not decided on which types of brackets to have!

My ortho offers ceramic and metal. The vain girl in me wants ceramic, but the ortho did tell me that many of his adult employees who have had the ceramics wish they opted for the metals due to the fact that they are smaller and more comfortable. I had always planned on the ceramic ones because, well, you know, I don't want it to be THAT obvious. Now he has me second guessing myself.

So - my question is - which do you have and why did you make that choice - and are you happy with your choice? Well, that is more than just one question - but you get my point LOL!

mookie

#2 Post by mookie »

Hi Berkshire, I am 28 and got my braces on December 12. So I have had them on about 6 weeks now.

When making the decision between ceramic or metal my dentist also mentioned the bracket size and comfort as factors I needed to consider. However I was pretty settled on wanting all ceramic.

I do not regret my decision because they are discreet and I haven't found the size of brackets to be an issue at all.

Hope that this helps. I have gotten around to posting any pictures on here but if you want me to email you a pic of my all ceramics just PM me.

CactusZAF

#3 Post by CactusZAF »

Hi Berkshirebraces, and welcome to the forum!

I have had my ceramic uppers (they're damon self ligating, so they still have some metal clip bits) in since early September '07. I was not given a choice by my ortho as to what bracket I would prefer, but was told this is what he (my ortho) would like to use. Given a choice and knowing what I know now (four and a half months later) I can honestly say I would choose comfort over looks any time, bear in mind that the wire and usually ligs (if they're not SL) are still going to be visible, especially when you start getting to the heavier gauge wires later in treatment. So what I'm trying to say is that even if the brackets are not visible, the arch wires probably will be.

Best of luck with your decision! :wink:

gwynneth23

#4 Post by gwynneth23 »

Hi, welcome to the site!

You might want to look at this recent thread on exactly this topic:

viewtopic.php?t=23656

I don't know if I've pasted in the link right, but the thread is called "Ceramic versus metal braces" and it's on page 3 at the moment.

Best wishes with your decision!

browneyedgrl

#5 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Berkshire,

Welcome to AW! I'm a soon to be 40 year old female too and I just got braced for the second time 10 days ago. I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers. I also have wire ties on my ceramics, so they won't stain. I picked ceramic on top b/c I wanted to be somewhat discrete (I work in sales) and I wore upper metals back in 1981-1982, but been there done that. I have a pic on page 2 of my www, just click on it, I took it a couple of hours after I got braced.

I'm very happy with my decision. You need to do what you feel most comfortable with. Did you see what the braces would look like on models during your consult?

Good luck on Tuesday, happy b-day!!! :-)o
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

cosmicgirl

#6 Post by cosmicgirl »

I have ceramics and they are almost invisible. They are terribly sharp though, and I need to use a lot of wax now and again - but that's usually once my teeth have started to move so I don't mind as long as I have progress!
I had all the brackets taken off yesterday and for a nanosecond considered asking them to be replaced with metal. I didn't! I'm used to them now and as I say, they are virtually undetectable. Perhaps if I were younger and braver I'd go the whole hog with multi coloured ligs too!

joney

#7 Post by joney »

I have self ligating which are semi clear and semi metal as this is what my orthodontist recommended and have found them fine. I was of the opinion that the ortho would be working with them and I wasn't too bothered about the metal being visible

I would say that whatever type you get you will get used to them so it is up to you really. If you feel more comfortable going for ceramics then go for it, you are the one who is going to have to live with them for a long period of time.
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

funshine

#8 Post by funshine »

Hello and welcome, birkshire!

I have ceramic uppers and metal lowers, both with self-ligating brackets. I love how discreet the ceramic uppers are. They may be a tad larger than the metal lowers, but I have had no comfort problems to differentiate one versus the other.

Good luck! :D

adrienne

#9 Post by adrienne »

I have ceramic uppers and lowers and at first they felt huge but now they're settling in... (This is my 3rd day). I only need to use wax on the hooks as those are basically the sharpest.. the rest are actually very smooth. I was talking to my friend and she didn't realise that I had braces until about 5 minutes later when I laughed and she saw the wire :lol:
;ADRIENNE
RPE for one month: 45 turns
quad-helix, lingual arch
ceramic braces for 18 months

braces off!

lauren321

#10 Post by lauren321 »

I got ceramic uppers and metal lowers (my ortho doesn't do ceramic lowers) about 10 days ago. Both types of brackets felt bulky to me at first, but the ceramics felt a tad bigger. They bothered me at first, but now I'm used to them and it has only been 10 days.

I'm glad I got ceramics because I'm a 3rd year college student doing a lot of student teaching. I will be going for several interviews while I have my braces on so I wanted to feel as comfortable (meaning less self-conscious) as possible. So far I think ceramics were a good choice :lol:

lauren321

#11 Post by lauren321 »

I got ceramic uppers and metal lowers (my ortho doesn't do ceramic lowers) about 10 days ago. Both types of brackets felt bulky to me at first, but the ceramics felt a tad bigger. They bothered me at first, but now I'm used to them and it has only been 10 days.

I'm glad I got ceramics because I'm a 3rd year college student doing a lot of student teaching. I will be going for several interviews while I have my braces on so I wanted to feel as comfortable (meaning less self-conscious) as possible. So far I think ceramics were a good choice :lol:

lilblackdress

Re: New here with a question :)

#12 Post by lilblackdress »

berkshirebraces wrote:So - my question is - which do you have and why did you make that choice - and are you happy with your choice? Well, that is more than just one question - but you get my point LOL!
I have traditional (not self-ligating) metal brackets on top and bottom arches. I chose metal for a variety of reasons:

1. They were cheaper : o )
2. I didn't think ceramics would be discreet enough to make up for them costing more. I figured if someone is going to notice my braces, they're going to notice them if the brackets are ceramic or metal, especially if colored ligs are used. As mentioned above, the arch wires used for both are metal.
3. I feel like metals give me the full braces experience - more mouth bling! :wink:

Also, I agree with Meryaten's statement above about getting metals on the bottom. There have been several posts from people who've had their teeth chipped due to ceramics. I don't know if this is because ceramics are harder than metal or if the ceramics are a little larger than metals (depending on brand).

iBorg

#13 Post by iBorg »

I can give you an honest opinion having had both of them this round of treatment. I had ceramics but due to some abnormality had a problem keeping them on. I am in a VERY small minority with that problem. I averaged a loose bracket at least once a month if not more often. After having two come off at one appointment, I was ready for the switch.

I had self litigating ceramics although my ortho preferred to wire tie them. With the wire and ligs they were still visible. My metals are a much smaller bracket and are not that much more visible the the ceramics. Comfort wise, the metal wins hands down. Click on my blog and you can see pictures of both types on the same teeth.

I also preferred the fact that the metals show up enough that people don't stare and try to figure out what's going on with my mouth. While they're more visible, I think they look cleaner.

Here's a unique perspective. Ask your ortho which he prefers. Then ask him which he'd use on his on family.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

mariahfromchicago

#14 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I wasn't given a choice...
I have the metal kind.. It's okay... i guess :roll:
- mariah

TigerLily

#15 Post by TigerLily »

I only have my lowers on so far & they are ceramic (as my uppers will be)

People dont realise I have braces, the odd person did when I had a metal coiled spring at the front but since it came off nobody has noticed my braces, I have asked the odd person but until I pointed it out they didn't see.

Due to the way my teeth are, when I look in the mirror one of me molars in metal is visible & it really stands out a lot more than my ceramics.

I have not had any bracket related discomfort, I have only used wax a handful of times since I got braced & they were all connected to the coiled spring.

I have wire ties as my ortho only gave me that option due to her views on lig staining. However now my coil spring is off & two teeth that were not on the wire before, due to poistioning one has had to have a lig on it. I dont know if it's clear or White or pearl but it blends in. I think that tooth looks more subtle than the others. But I dont know how it will look when stained. Though saying that I have had tons of black tea and a curry the other night and it hasn't stained so far...fingers crossed!