Recipes

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wired after 50

Recipes

#1 Post by wired after 50 »

I know there are a lot of cookbooks out there for soft food diets but is it okay if we start a link with recipes we have come up with. I have lost 12 pounds since my TMJ started about this time last year. The braces have made a difference but I still need the calories. Having dairy issues being both allergic to milk and it being a migraine trigger I often have to tweak recipes. 2 of my favorite right now are a coconut pudding made with coconut milk and enchiladas with soy cheese. I would love to share the recipes but not sure if it was allowed.

I would also like to try recipes other members have come up with.

Susan

wired after 50

#2 Post by wired after 50 »

Coconut Pudding

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
Dash salt
3 eggs, separated
1 14 ounce can coconut milk plus enough water to make 2 cups of liquid
.. do not use the light coconut milk.
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup grated coconut

1. Mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour and salt in top of double boiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water, stirring constantly for 10 to 12 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and Coconut.

2. After pudding has cooled either pour into cooled pre-baked pie crust or ovenproof bowl.

3. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until stiff but not dry. Spoon on top of pudding, spreading evenly to cover entire surface and sealing well to edges.

4. Bake at 350°F in top half of oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until browned. Cool slightly or refrigerate.

pocketgames

#3 Post by pocketgames »

oh man that sounds yummy! :)

bbsadmin

#4 Post by bbsadmin »

Would you guys like me to create a forum specifically for recipes? Someone suggested it yesterday (was it you, wiredat50? I don't remember at the moment who it was!). Anyway, let me know.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

wired after 50

#5 Post by wired after 50 »

I would love to see a recipe forum. I have two or three more I can quickly add.

I made a new verson of the pudding yesterday where I left out the grated coconut and threw in 1/2 of chocolate chips to make chocolate pudding.

lilblackdress

#6 Post by lilblackdress »

bbsadmin wrote:Would you guys like me to create a forum specifically for recipes? Someone suggested it yesterday (was it you, wiredat50? I don't remember at the moment who it was!). Anyway, let me know.
Yes, I'd like to see a forum specifically for recipes. :idea:

This way, general questions about braces can be kept separate from the recipes, and it can keep the Metal Mouth Forum from getting too cluttered. It might also be easier to do searches, too.

Gabbajabba

#7 Post by Gabbajabba »

I would love a recipe forum. I am only in week two of treatment and am tired of yogurt and cream of wheat.

motormouth

#8 Post by motormouth »

A recipe forum sounds great. I'd like to learn new recipes and get new ideas of things to eat that are both easy on the mouth and filling. At times I eat a meal and I'm still hungry.

browneyedgrl

#9 Post by browneyedgrl »

A recipe forum would be great!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

Andantae

#10 Post by Andantae »

Excellent idea, Lynn!

Can you transfer the 'Soft Food Cookbooks' sticky note if you do? No doubt the orthognathic forum would be interested!

Thanks!
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM