Bite off after the brace adjustment. Is that normal

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xyz2008

Bite off after the brace adjustment. Is that normal

#1 Post by xyz2008 »

Hi,

I just transfered my treatment to this new ortho, who hopefully would undo some of the damage caused by the first ortho. He replaced my archwire. One day after the brace adjustment, I startd to fell that when I bite, my left side first bicuspid feels wrong. I have never experience something like this in my previous 1 year+ adjustment. Is that normal? Since my teeth are still tender, I am wondering if it was caused by the tenderness of the teeth. The next appoitment is six weeks away. Should I wait for a few days or should I ask the orthodontist right away?

Thanks!
xyz2008

ilovemacs

#2 Post by ilovemacs »

I've had that happen many times. IMO I'd just not let it bother me but you can call if you want. It's up to you. The calling may make you feel better! :D

xyz2008

#3 Post by xyz2008 »

Thanks ilovemacs! That makes me feel normal :-)

So, basically if one side of your mouth has bite problem, you just chew using the correct side for weeks?

platinum

#4 Post by platinum »

yep!

I used my right side for ages, because my left side did not fit. After i got powerchains and stronger wires my left side feels more normal.

ilovemacs

#5 Post by ilovemacs »

Denise wrote:My bite changed daily in the beginning. I can still feel it changing between adjustments. Nothing to worry about. It's just noticeable progress. :D
I echo that!! :D Right now I have a molar build up and my bite is off. I'm trying to learn how to cope with it. :)

Gennel

#6 Post by Gennel »

Yup ,Ive had this happen many times. The main problem I notice after adjustments is that my bite is more open. About 3 adjustments ago my bite was really open only a few hours after an adjustmen! I mean it was about 4mm open. This freaked me out and I did pass by the ortho and he totally understood my concerns and assured me that this was normal and things would settle down. He was right and my bite started to close again in a few wks. Now after my recent adjustment 2 weeks ago , I now have an overbite! Ugh this is why orthodontic treatment takes time because when one thing is fixed,another thing goes wrong lol.
I know this will get fixed and I truly have a gut feeling that my treatment will be finished before July :)
The bite being off is pretty normal in most cases ,especially after an adjustment.

Gennel

browneyedgrl

#7 Post by browneyedgrl »

I've been in braces for the last two weeks and since the 4th day, my bite changes daily. My teeth don't fit together and it looks as though my upper arch is widening out nicely and the bottoms havent caught up yet. It's really annoying, but I know it the end it will be worth it!

Good luck!
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

mariahfromchicago

#8 Post by mariahfromchicago »

At first I couldn't bite down after an adjustment, but I don't know, it got better?
- mariah

xyz2008

#9 Post by xyz2008 »

Thank you all for your reply... making me feel better :-)

Lorima

#10 Post by Lorima »

Yes, thanks to all, I had the same question. It's disconcerting to have things get worse instead of better!