Damon system?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Lisa65

#16 Post by Lisa65 »

I generally stay out of the Damon-related discussions because I don't have them and my ortho doesn't use them. When we had a heated Damon thread once before I asked him what he thought of them and he said he had nothing against them and they were a perfectly good system, but in his opinion most of Ormco's blurb IS hype, and they were no better or worse than any other system. His preference is not to use self-ligating brackets of any brand.

I think the anti-Damon posts can get a bit heated. But in my view that's because we get new members coming here almost every week, saying that their orthos have promised them miracles using Damons, or that they have read Ormco's literature and are convinced that Damons are some sort of cure-all, and that the use of Damons is the only solution to their orthodontic problems which would otherwise involve multiple extractions and/or jaw surgery. When in actuality the success or failure of any orthodontic treatment depends on multiple factors, of which the bracket system used comes way down the list.

I consider it a duty for forum members to ensure (to the best of their ability) that any information they pass on is correct and not misleading to newer members who might not be as well informed.

Nobody is saying that Damon is a bad or ineffective system or that patients and orthos should not use them if they so wish. But the OP on this thread has already posted several times about her dissatisfaction with the results of the treatment she's received so far, and I for one would hate her to think that PURELY the use of Damons is going to be the answer to all her problems when other systems will not do the job. Whether or not she eventually gets a result she's happy with depends on the skill of her orthodontist and not the brand of her brackets.

Miss Smiley

#17 Post by Miss Smiley »

Now if self-ligating braces could solve world hunger and give us all peace on earth, that would be something to really jump on!
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

BenB

#18 Post by BenB »

I'm coming from a purely ignorant stand point here and don't really have much knowledge about orthodontics, but I'm struggling to realise what the big deal is about extractions. I have two second bicuspid's extracted top and bottom with the view that the gaps could be closed easily with no ill effects. While browsing through the forum I've seen alot of posts about sunken faces and I'm starting to worry a little, I was never made aware of any of this by my ortho.

LadyJ

#19 Post by LadyJ »

Lisa65 wrote:I consider it a duty for forum members to ensure (to the best of their ability) that any information they pass on is correct and not misleading to newer members who might not be as well informed.
Oh, I agree completely. I have no problem with that. That's why if someone comes on asking about Damons I'm always careful to specify what my ortho said about my case and to refer them back to their own ortho with questions. I won't make any sweeping statements.

And I think that posters who have had experience with them (like bracedintx) that is different than the usual claims should speak up and give their side. And other posters with cautionary statements should speak up as well. I'm all about having full information - that's why I researched before agreeing to this course of treatment. I wanted to know what I could reasonably, really expect.

I'd just like to see the counter position taken a little less derisively, so that it doesn't come across that those of us who do have them (or want them) have just fallen prey to some slick advertisement, when in fact (in my case at least) I had never heard of them but my ortho was very excited to use them, and I deferred to his training and experience in the area, and now I just want to enjoy and be confident in my course of treatment.
Braced for the first time on January 17th, 2008!
Planned with OrthoCAD iQ
Damon 3 ("social six") and 3MX brackets
Estimated treatment time: 18-20 months
This is what I'm going for!
Click on WWW to read my braces story.

ohmyjaw

#20 Post by ohmyjaw »

can anyone tell me something about damonsystem braces. If they work well on adults, and if they really can expand the lower and upper jaw without any longterm sideeffects? Do teeth reamin stable?
The simple answer to the above post is "no". I think we all agree on that, right?
we get new members coming here almost every week, saying that their orthos have promised them miracles using Damons

Seriously? That's a bit scary.

katarinarano

Hallo

#21 Post by katarinarano »

Hallo,

My new ortho is telling me that Damon braces are less agressive on theets and there roots. She told me that the wire moves loosely through each backed. Resulting that each tooth has some normal movements. This movement is positive for the bone regeneration, especially in people with some boneloss. The only thing I do not understand is how they can open up spaces for implants and widens the arches without any boneloss.
With regular braces I would get implants after 8 month during treatment. With the damon braces I have to wait 18 month to go for implants. After such a long time period I would need some bonegrafts. I'm really confused, and do not know what is best to do. All other orthos with regular braces told me my teeth can not be moved out due to boenloss. All domon brace orthos told me that the bone will regrow???

Katy

katarinarano

#22 Post by katarinarano »

Does anyone know for how many years damon braces are on the market?

Did anyone hear of anyone who lost teeths after treatment?

What are the sideeffects of treatment?

How do damaon braces work on people who would normally need jaw churgery?

All I hope is that the damon braces will give me back what my first ortho took away from me. my face.

Katy

ohmyjaw

#23 Post by ohmyjaw »

Katy, I wish I had more advice to offer but I don't know anything about bone loss and its implications. And I honestly don't know if Damon braces are less aggressive. I would think that you could use conventional brackets and a really lightweight wire to do the same thing, but I am just speculating.

You usually open up spaces for implants using springs, and you can do that with any type of braces. The bone remodels itself as the space is being created. I don't know what happens if you already have some bone loss.

As Meryaten said earlier, braces (any braces, Damon or otherwise) can "expand" your arches by pushing your teeth outwards. There is a limit to how far they can do this and still have a stable result. If more expansion is needed, you have to have surgery.
All other orthos with regular braces told me my teeth can not be moved out due to boenloss. All domon brace orthos told me that the bone will regrow???
I would be cautious about accepting a claim like that. Maybe one of the orthos on the board could comment?

ohmyjaw

#24 Post by ohmyjaw »

How do damaon braces work on people who would normally need jaw churgery?
As we said earlier, Katy, they don't.
All I hope is that the damon braces will give me back what my first ortho took away from me. my face.
Again, they are not a miracle cure. Please go back and read Meryaten's earlier post in this thread.

red indian

This is what my ortho and the professors say...

#25 Post by red indian »

Hi . I am having damon braces at a university hospital that doesnt usually use damons. I was against extractions and when I pressed this point- the resident doctor assigned to me spoke with several professors and told me that the only way I could do this was by using the damons. That is how I got Damons and I am pretty much a rarity here. I am bringing this up because I go to a premier university school (UCLA) and one would imagine that the professors may be onto something when they insist that the Damons are more able to achieve results without extractions.I cant imagine them buying into the marketing thing without any evidence of results, nor can I see how there oculd be any financial benefits to them..

Gap

#26 Post by Gap »

I was in regular 3M brand brackets, the ones that ligate with o-rings, for 8 months and recently got Damon 3s. I've been in Damon 3s now for 2 months.

(Just fyi, it was because I'm in the Army and an Army orthodontist was doing my braces for free under Army healthcare with the regular brackets. I moved and the Army doesn't have an orthodontist where I'm at, so I'm now paying for my braces myself and chose an orthodontist that works almost exclusively with the Damon system. That's the only reason why I changed.)

I can tell you that already, I see changes happening faster with the Damon system than before with the others. I consider this somewhat of an achievement considering that at the point at which my teeth are now, so far into treatment, I shouldn't be seeing such drastic improvement between my adjustments (only every six weeks now instead of four), but I am and I'm really happy. My first orthodontist said I'd be in braces for 24 months and my new orthodontist, at the point I'm at now, said I'd be in braces for 12-18 - add that to the time I've already completed, and it's really only a few months off my earlier braces removal date.

So, all I can really advise, from my sort of odd orthodontic history, is that Damons seem to move my teeth faster (at least from my untrained eye), but it could just be my perception (and it probably is). The Damon brackets are no more comfortable than my old 3Ms - in fact, their footprint is a little smaller, but they protrude a little bit more. With each adjustment with my old 3Ms, I never felt pain at all. In Damons, I had my first adjustment a week and a half ago... and it was pain, pain, pain, lol. I was on soft food for a good 4 days. But, the archwire they put in was significantly thicker than the one before, so perhaps it's just the pain of change?

I hope this helps a little bit. Pardon my rambling on! :)