Almost done! (Frenectomy Questions too)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tiggrr2001

Almost done! (Frenectomy Questions too)

#1 Post by tiggrr2001 »

I've been lurking a while and not had much time to post. My goodness, I can't believe how fast the time has flown by since B Day. I have tried searching for frenectomy, but there only seems to be two posts related to it. I have a consultation on the 5th with the perio to have my frenectomy done. I just had an adjustment on the 22nd and the ortho says that he wants to see me a week after surgery to put my finishing wire in!!!! WEEEEE I'm soooo excited. Can anyone tell me about their experiences with the frenectomy? The ortho assistant says it's like a sunburn or when you cut your gums. Any tips/experiences would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

Danielle

#2 Post by Danielle »

I don't know if what I had done would be called a frenectomy. But last February I had a little excess piece of my gum lasered off. It wasn't bad at all. I would say painless but they couldn't get it to stop bleeding and they had to numb me again to seal it off with the laser again and that shot hurt because they couldn't use the time consuming "wand". Once the numbness was gone I took a prescriped pain pill (a higher strenght Ibuprofen) and fell asleep. I woke up pain free and ate dinner like normal... the only thing was I was told to brush carefully in that area of my mouth and no mouthwash for a week. I wish I could offer more information.
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present

starryeyedfairy

#3 Post by starryeyedfairy »

I had the same situation too
I had been looking for posts about frenetomies, but alas I found none.

I had my frenectomy done by an E.N.T.
There wasn't a laser involved, but there was a numbing injection to my top lip and a scalpel.
It was painful but worth it.
I had stitches put it, and then fell out themselves in a number a weeks.
I couldn't really be that expressive talking, laugh or a smile without pain for a good 7 to 8 days, but after that it was a smooth sailing.

That was my experience.

QUESTION? (I know it may sound really DUMB)
but can the frenulum, which was removed during the frenectomy...
can it grow back? can any of it grow back?

the thought occured to me when i was watching en episode of seinfeld and george's tonsils grew back and he had to get them removed again (he got them removed as a child)

breda206

#4 Post by breda206 »

My orthodontist told me that I may have to go for a frenectomy at some stage as he thinks the gap that was between my two front teeth was caused by my very large frenum! :shock:
I'd be very interested to hear if anyone had this surgery also as I tried to search for it as well and I couldn't find any information on it.

tiggrr2001

#5 Post by tiggrr2001 »

starryeyedfairy wrote:I had the same situation too
I had been looking for posts about frenetomies, but alas I found none.

I had my frenectomy done by an E.N.T.
There wasn't a laser involved, but there was a numbing injection to my top lip and a scalpel.
It was painful but worth it.
I had stitches put it, and then fell out themselves in a number a weeks.
I couldn't really be that expressive talking, laugh or a smile without pain for a good 7 to 8 days, but after that it was a smooth sailing.

That was my experience.

QUESTION? (I know it may sound really DUMB)
but can the frenulum, which was removed during the frenectomy...
can it grow back? can any of it grow back?

the thought occured to me when i was watching en episode of seinfeld and george's tonsils grew back and he had to get them removed again (he got them removed as a child)
I think it can grow back. My ortho put bends in my wire to really push the two front teeth together because he says he doesn't want the gap opening back up and wants to make sure the tissue doesn't have the chance to regenerate. I didn't know an ENT could do the surgery. I wish I would have known- maybe I wouldn't have had to wait so long for a consult with a perio.

Slader01

Re: Almost done! (Frenectomy Questions too)

#6 Post by Slader01 »

It can't grow back, but if it's removed too soon, there has been research proving that scar tissue will form, which will prevent the space from ever closing. The key about getting the frenenctomy is to do it AFTER space closure. Meaning, after the space has closed as much as the power chains can close it. Then, once the frenum is removed, the space will fully close & will stay that way, as long as you wear your retainer as directed. Usually a permanent retainer is bonded between 2-6 teeth in a case like this, as this case has a very high chance of relapse. If you never get the frenectomy, the space will re-open over time, even with a permanent retainer (it will break it.) the enlarged frenum comes from genetics, and its job is pretty much to push the central incisors apart. if it's left after the braces are removed, it will continue to do it's job, which causes relapse. it thinks that it owns its own spot in the mouth. once removed, it's gone. it won't come back. think of it like if you pull a tooth out, it won't grow back. doing the frenectomy significantly decreases the chance of relapse.

musicbrace

Re: Almost done! (Frenectomy Questions too)

#7 Post by musicbrace »

Hello there!

Completely off topic, but I noticed your trumpet clicker!

Are you a fellow trumpet player?

Robzzee

Re: Can i wear my clear retainers after my frenectomy?

#8 Post by Robzzee »

I just had my frenectomy done on Friday.
I was actually traumatised after it.
Glad its over and done.
I had a pretty big one and my ortho said having the braces
On, after treatment taking braces off, that the gap would come back.
So i kept putting The procedure off and noticed it was trying to reopen the gap.
Wore my retainers 12hours a day have a wire at the back.
Its been a good 6months now.

Anyway i had the procedure done on Friday its Monday going on tuesday.
I did wear my clear retainers on saturday night however my lip was irratated and puffed up so badly that it was uncomfortable
And painful when i took them out.
I havent worn them after that.

So my question is, when can i wear them again and if not will my teeth slowly shift?

Just so you know i have stitches in my inner lip.
Not sure if they dissolve, because my peiodontist said he will take them out this coming friday.