Braced Again!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xostephie

Braced Again!

#1 Post by xostephie »

Today is actually my 3rd day in braces-for the second time!:P
The first time around, I had probably the worst orthodontist ever. Actually, turns out, he was not a licensed orthodontist at all! After he took the braces off (and boy, was I not happy with the finished results at all), I went in for a cleaning with my general dentist who told me that apparently I still had a moderate overbite, cross bite, and then of course overcrowding. After that, I went back to the "ortho" and got myself a refund! So now I'm back in braces for a second time. I ended up consulting with about 3 orthodontists before deciding on one-who I actually really like; Plus they have alot of patients, so there's actually about 2 orthodontists at the office-so I see both, which is nice because then I feel like one is almost double checking on the other's work.

The bad news? I now have an additional 18 months of treatment ahead of me, and oh my goodness is this going to be hard! They also placed an expander bar (not an RPE, just a little bar that goes across my mouth) and apparently that will be there for about 8 months to a year. Everything else I can deal with, but the impact on my speech is killer. Will it get back to normal?:(

Ah well. I have to say, despite the pain and the treatment time, it's definitely worth it in the end!

breal87

#2 Post by breal87 »

congrats on your new treatment plan! Hopefully everything will go as planned like it should - Your speech will get better once you get used to the braces

Good luck!

Test

Miss Smiley

#3 Post by Miss Smiley »

WOW, you have some sort of skills to get a refund from the previous "ortho." Anyhow, welcome back to braceland. Regarding your speech, there is a rainbow passage which can help. I think you're supposed to read it outloud, maybe when you have some time alone.

When the sunlight strikes raindrops in the air, they act as a prism and form a rainbow. The rainbow is a division of white light into many beautiful colors. These take the shape of a long round arch, with its path high above, and its two ends apparently beyond the horizon. There is , according to legend, a boiling pot of gold at one end. People look, but no one ever finds it. When a man looks for something beyond his reach, his friends say he is looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Throughout the centuries people have explained the rainbow in various ways. Some have accepted it as a miracle without physical explanation. To the Hebrews it was a token that there would be no more universal floods. The Greeks used to imagine that it was a sign from the gods to foretell war or heavy rain. The Norsemen considered the rainbow as a bridge over which the gods passed from earth to their home in the sky. Others have tried to explain the phenomenon physically. Aristotle thought that the rainbow was caused by reflection of the sun's rays by the rain. Since then physicists have found that it is not reflection, but refraction by the raindrops which causes the rainbows. Many complicated ideas about the rainbow have been formed. The difference in the rainbow depends considerably upon the size of the drops, and the width of the colored band increases as the size of the drops increases. The actual primary rainbow observed is said to be the effect of super-imposition of a number of bows. If the red of the second bow falls upon the green of the first, the result is to give a bow with an abnormally wide yellow band, since red and green light when mixed form yellow. This is a very common type of bow, one showing mainly red and yellow, with little or no green or blue.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

breal87

#4 Post by breal87 »

LoL Gotta love the rainbow speech!! :wink:

Test