Yay, Nance is gone!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cowlypso

Yay, Nance is gone!

#1 Post by cowlypso »

I went in yesterday and got my Nance taken out. I was a little nervous about the molar bands coming off, but that wasn't bad. She took the Nance out, and it felt like I had a huge crater in my palate. She assured me that there was no depression, just some ridges where the skin had grown over the edges of the Nance. Great, even better. The skin is slowly recovering. Still tender, but it's not as sensitive as it was yesterday.

I got new molar bands up top to replace the ones that came off with the Nance. I was supposed to get a TPA, but the ortho decided that I didn't need that, and instead it was time to put brackets on my back molars. So I've got 4 brand new brackets.

Because of the new brackets, we had to go back from the stainless steel wire to the nickel/titanium wire that's more flexible. So we got rid of all the springs (all but one of the gaps was closed anyway), and changed out the archwires. Tied together a few groups of teeth on the top just for good measure.

And today, OUCH! I'm pretty sure the orthodontist rearranged my mouth. Tylenol and wax are my friends today. I just had lunch, and it was a sad state of affairs. I got a pasta dish and it hurt to chew the pasta. Fortunately, the side of veggies was overcooked enough that they were easy to eat. The mushrooms in the cream of mushroom soup, however, were too chewy. I think it'll be soup again for dinner.

Miss Smiley

#2 Post by Miss Smiley »

YAY! No more nance! I'm sure your teeth will toughen up in no time and you'll be back to your normal diet in a couple days.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

jorx

#3 Post by jorx »

Hey, you are so lucky! I am really looking forward to have mine removed too! even if it isn't that bad, still, it is the worst part of the whole braces thing...

mariahfromchicago

#4 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Great! No more of that appliance! :D

kjw1214

YAY!

#5 Post by kjw1214 »

I have a nance... it is no fun. I was wondering if i would get it out before i got the braces of. Now I have hope that this will happen!

Congrats on that, i know how crappy it is to have something stuck permanetly on the roof of your mouth!!!