had my braces off today - why am i not happy ?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

river

had my braces off today - why am i not happy ?

#1 Post by river »

iv had my braces off today at 9:00 this morning and It hurt like hell , i was nearly crying.

The breaking off of brackets was fine but then he used this "thing" to remove the glue from my teeth and it was so painful :(
it must of been hot because the smoke ( yes smoke ) was rising up :shock:

In all i was in the chair for around 15 mins

I have to go back later on today to collect my retainer .

elpi

#2 Post by elpi »

aww I haven't even started wearing braces yet so I don't know what it's like to have them removed, but maybe you were so excited about getting them taken off you weren't quite mentally prepared for pain and err smoke?! and more nastiness... I hope when the memory fades you can enjoy your new teeth and living brace free :)

Arimah

#3 Post by Arimah »

so sorry to hear that
i have never given thought to getting pain on removal day....

Jillianleab

#4 Post by Jillianleab »

river, when I had my braces removed I also remember the removal of the glue being the worst part. I wasn't near tears, but I can certainly see how someone might be. It was uncomfortable, I remember that much!

In your subject you say you aren't happy - what are you not happy about? Your results? Soreness? I was a little tender/sore for a few days after having my braces removed; I think the shock of having them off, the tugging and the scraping added to my sensitivity and it took some getting used to. If you aren't thrilled with your results, give yourself a few days - when mine came off I thought they were HUGE and YELLOW and I was not as excited as I thought I would be. A few days later, I was good to go! :)

And for anyone else reading, I agree with Meryaten, a few OTC pain killers before debanding will curb any uncomfortableness (wish I had done that...). And as uncomfortable as debanding can be with the scraping and polishing and whatnot, it's over in no time and it's the LAST TIME you have to do it! :)
~jlb~

Braced 5/19/06 - Full Metal Mouth!
Went topless 07/27/07!
Totally NAKED 08/30/07!

See my braces story with lots of pics here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 2806#92806

TumbleDryLow

#5 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Thanks Meryaten. I was going into panic mode and I just got my braces 3 months ago!!

SnowSara

#6 Post by SnowSara »

I get mine off in 2 days, I think I will take some pre-emptive aleve just in case. I'm not too nervous about any pain, just curious to see my new naked teeth! I am worried though that it will be hard to get my retainer on and off for the first time. They've already told me that I will have to wait until the next day to pick up my retainer as they've got the whole rest of the day booked with patients after me. I'm afraid my teeth will run away in the night! haha!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

TsuKata

#7 Post by TsuKata »

I totally understand. ::hugs:: I had *one* bracket removed at my last adjustment (last Thursday), and it totally freaked me out. It felt like my tooth was being cut in half when they took the bracket off, and I was afraid to even breathe while the glue was being buzzed off...it felt so dangerous, like if I move, my lip will get buzzed or burnt or something. I'm sure it's not as bad as it seemed, and it was over fast, but it made me really nervous for removal day (which isn't that far off now, for me).
Braces Type: Powerprox ("Six Month" Braces), worn 9/27/2007 through 5/12/2008
My dentist: Lakeside Dental in Lake Zurich, IL

mariahfromchicago

#8 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I am sort of freaking out even though this magical day is lightyears away (ok, a year, but it feels like lightyears away). Urgh another year left!! Thanks blub for this amazing comment!!!
- mariah
Last edited by mariahfromchicago on Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mmmmuuaa

#9 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

I'm getting debraced on the 19th. Yea! I'm trying not to worry, I'll say I'm 'prepared' for pain. I had one of my crystal brackets removed in the past and it took a long time and shattered everywhere and was extremely painful. I couldn't help but moan at times. It was rough. That had been about a week after an adjustment, and my teeth were a bit sensitive, so I hope that it won't be as painful now. Anyway, it'll be worth it in the end!

river

#10 Post by river »

please dont worry about my pain comment , it was just a shock as i was not expecting any pain, In the past iv had the odd bracket replaced and it was fine. If you are worried just take some pain killers and im sure you will be fine .

Im not happy because i think my teeth at the front are massive !! I think jillianleab is right , i just need some time to get use to my teeth.

SnowSara

#11 Post by SnowSara »

I forgot to take my aleve this morning, but found I didn't need it anyway ;)

The cold air from the drill was a bit annoying on those sensitive teeth, but I enjoyed that the assistant did a very good job of removing the glue and polishing my teeth, so I didn't mind too much.

That first feeling of your lips against your smooth teeth is AMAZING. I'm already forgetting that the braces were even there, lol!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.