modelling and braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

BoSox2008

#16 Post by BoSox2008 »

get braces! whether ceramic, metal, damon, invisilign, or lingual! having braces sooner will allow you to model to your full potential later in life. better to have braces for a year or two than to have crooked teeth for life!

There has been a model on "America's Next Top Model" (with Tyra Banks, not sure if you are familiar) who had braces and was chosen for the show! Also, Jennifer Steele, who was pictured on the cover of Seventeen Magazine had Damon braces in the photo at 20 and 21 years old. Here is a link: http://www.jennifersteele.blogspot.com/

If you search google.com for both of these girls, you will find tons of photos!

Believe me - I am sure you are more likely to sign with an agency who knows you are temporarily wearing braces and will soon have perfect teeth, than if you have less than perfect teeth.

Your teeth look really nice compared to what mine looked like, but if you are considering braces, it is obviously an issue, and you will be glad you did it!! Good luck : )

TucsonDeb

#17 Post by TucsonDeb »

My sister in law was a model for many years. My understanding is that the agencies evaluate you in general for potential, then tell you what you need to do (lose 10 lbs, build up your arms, get your hair cut/dyed, get braces, etc).

So going to an agency now would probably be helpful, because they would more than likely tell you if you have the potential and how important braces are.

And like a lot of others mentioned, while you're braced you might very well get either non-smiling or specialized gigs. You may even want to scout out an agency that specializes in niche modeling if you're certain you want to get braced. Here's an article from the NYT, for example:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/fashi ... FOp5TjPaGQ

pearls

#18 Post by pearls »

thank you everyone for your helpful comments! Now the tricky part is to find a place to start!

SolarFeline - I have always pondered the idea of doing extra acting work, but i just don't know where to get the work. I don't have an agent or anything because acting has never really been my thing. In school i would always crack up laughing for some reason. In extra however, i probably wouldn't need to speak!

TusconDeb - your information was very helpful. I never even thought about how agencies might tell you to come back after a couple of things have been changed, eg hair, teeth etc. No doubt weight would probably be the biggest issue!

PARR you must be making big bucks modelling designer undies! i never knew that tats and piercings were desired in modelling though! i always thought that they weren't preffered (from watching america's next top model!)

BoSox2008 - i am definately familiar with america's next top model and tyra banks. i have been watching antm for years on foxtel (pay tv). It's probably my biggest motivation for modelling! Australia is in fact filming or just finishing filming the 4th season of australias next top model. however i don't think i would ever have the guts to be on reality tv.

thanks again to everyone!

I will see if i have any luck with actually finding an agency first! then we shall see how i go!.

pearls
Spacers in: 9/4/2008
Braces on:16/4/2008
Sentanced for: 18 months
Metal upper and lowers

annie82

#19 Post by annie82 »

I do some semi-professional modelling and what everybody said over here is true. I went for linguals as it was suggested by my agency as a less visible option. Invisalign were not good for me as I knew that i'd never wear them as much as required. Some of my colleagues who have traditional braces have them photoshopped out in pictures when they smile. Either way, go for it and you won't regret it

cybersiren

#20 Post by cybersiren »

There was a contestant on America's Next Top Model who had braces. As far as I know, they saw it as something that she was doing to improve her appearance and help her career. Go fot it!

PARR

#21 Post by PARR »

pearls wrote:
PARR you must be making big bucks modelling designer undies! i never knew that tats and piercings were desired in modelling though! i always thought that they weren't preffered (from watching america's next top model!)

pearls
Oh wouldn't that be nice, but no, no big bucks, no Times Square billboards or such like, just a once a year mail order catalog. The clientèle determine the adornments one can show obviously.

karrisanne

#22 Post by karrisanne »

I modeled from my toddler years until my mid-teens. Although I didn't get braces until recently (I'm now 22), back then there were several people in my agency with braces. It wasn't an adult agency though, we topped out around 20, but there is defiantly a market for models with braces, especially in the teen and young adult sector. I also had jobs that didn't require me to smile or show my teeth, including ads for eye makeup, shoes, jewelry, etc. I can't really give you advice on getting into the business but I will say to GO FOR IT! The braces and the business! My teeth didn't really start moving until I was about 15. I wish I had gotten braces sooner, it definately would have helped my confidence. On the upside, when my mouth is closed, my lips look puffier and much more attractive ;)