The Helix is gone

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skates

The Helix is gone

#1 Post by Skates »

After shifting and causing my poor tongue enough pain for me to consider a tongue ring (I already had enough holes from the darn thing)..today....the darn thing has been removed....

I'm free!

Somewhat. Still at least a year till I am unbraced, but I can TALK again!

cosmicgirl

#2 Post by cosmicgirl »

You lucky lucky lucky LUCKY thing!!!
How I envy you! I am three weeks, 4 days in and SO fed up with this vile item of torture!
How long did you suffer for?
Hopefully, mine will be removed - and then stamped upon - in another 4 weeks time.
Can't wait!

Skates

#3 Post by Skates »

December to February. I recommend yogurt for when you get punctured and need to eat.

Also, oragel! ORAGEL! Kept me from screaming.

And of course, aleve. The greatest OTC painkiller on the market.

Thank you. It's great to be able to feel the back of my teeth again.

cosmicgirl

#4 Post by cosmicgirl »

my tongue is like the surface of the moon! Has yours healed yet? Didn't think about yoghurt... maybe ice cream would have the same soothing properties??!!
Actually I went out to lunch with my mother-in-law today and discovered two amazing things....
1) Spinach and melted Brie make a wonderful effective guard for the helix - couldn't feel it at all!
2) Spinach and melted Brie is well nigh impossible to remove from a helix when in polite company. Was in the loo with a toothpick for about ten minutes poking aound and retching... :roll:

Skates

#5 Post by Skates »

Don't know if they're in the UK or not, but I purchased an Interplak that is....Travel sized. Add a little water, bammo! Cleans the teeth with water.

Yogurt actually has some serious healing properties, check it out.

BenB

#6 Post by BenB »

Congrats Skates, I'm still a few months off getting my helix removed but thankfully i've almost learnt to live with it (apart from a few speech issues), can't wait!

Skates

#7 Post by Skates »

Ben, I look forward to that day for you. I know how awful it is. I speak for a living so it's great to be able to talk like a grown up again. I know....

TEXLADY

?

#8 Post by TEXLADY »

What is a helix - is it similar to a crozat used for arch expansion?

Skates

#9 Post by Skates »

Yep.