"Almost done" he said...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinOnYourLips

"Almost done" he said...

#1 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Hey all,

Soo today I had an adjustment and after my ligs were changed, my ortho looked at my teeth, smiled and said "Well, you're almost done! Another 1 or 2 visits and you're finished"

Of course I was excited (eventhough judging by my teeth I already knew the end was near) and at the same time, I got very anxious. Another 1-2 adjustments seem so close but SO FAR! He told me I can come in in 3 weeks, so my next adjustment is Feb. 29th and I am REALLY hoping he will tell me, my next adjustment is my debanding! I'm coming close to my 1 year mark, so hopefully I will be done by then.

I do have a slight overjet now, maybe 2-4 mm, but it seems it won't be able to close much because of my bottom teeth being in the way (I only have my top braced, my bottom arch is pretty straight). You can't see it when I smile, but if I pull my head back, it is visible.

I will definately ask my ortho about it at the next adjustment, but do any of you have/had this problem?

ETA: The picture in my avator, is NOT my teeth. It just looked alot like my mouth so I used it, but my own bottom teeth are much more straight :wink:

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

markuhde

#2 Post by markuhde »

Yay you! *Mark does a happy dance for Lips* - 1 year, I wish I was so lucky :) I'm coming up on a year and it still feels like I'm just getting started... Oh well, braces are fun so I'm not in any real hurry to get them off yet. I mostly just want them off before I leave here which might be coming soon :)

Have fun with your debanding!

kjw1214

#3 Post by kjw1214 »

Congratulations. You got a good sentence, I am along the lines with most of the year and a half to two years span. Sounds exciting to be getting them off so soon! YAY!!! Go eat lots of popcorn and sodas and caramel lol! Eat some for me!
December 12, 2007- Paritally Braced, left canine back in all two brackets, nance and both bands.
Feb 4, 2008 First "adjustment" and first power chain!
March 26, 2008 Second adjustment, new power chain and wire and a full banding date. Seven weeks!
May 12 2008-----Full Banding Date!!!

SinOnYourLips

#4 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Haha thanks guys! Now that I know it's almost over time will of course draaaaaaaaaag on and on. I know a way to beat it is to not think about it, but its SO hard!

markuhde, whats your sentence? when are you due?

kjw1214, how far along are you? (almost sounds like pregnant talk over here)

:wink:

kjw1214

#5 Post by kjw1214 »

I am two months five days in... lol it does sound like a bunch of pregnant people talking here.. lol! I am only partially braced so i cant wait to be fully there with yall!
December 12, 2007- Paritally Braced, left canine back in all two brackets, nance and both bands.
Feb 4, 2008 First "adjustment" and first power chain!
March 26, 2008 Second adjustment, new power chain and wire and a full banding date. Seven weeks!
May 12 2008-----Full Banding Date!!!

Drama Queen

#6 Post by Drama Queen »

Hey,

I know just how you feel. at my last adjustment my ortho said it was nearly done and that said that if all is good at my next adjustment (beginning of march) they can come off at the one after that, so hopefully that is the beginning of April. By then I would have been braced for about 20 months. So fingers crossed - I am not going to get my hopes up just in case though. But like you say it seems so close but still yet so far

xx
Braced on 25 July 2006 Ceramic upper and lowers
Braces off on 3 April 2008

SinOnYourLips

#7 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Drama Queen, same here! I really want to start imagining him telling me, come back in 3 weeks and we'll take them off at the next adjustment, but I am stopping myself, so I don't get all upset and dissapointed if it won't be time yet. It's just so exciting to know at least we'll be done before the summer and hopefully right when the warm days start to come in. :D

kjw1214, when do you get your other half? It is exciting once you start to see changes, I can't even remember how my teeth used to look exactly (although I did take pictures to remind me) I don't want to look yet!

Next adjustment in 2 weeks, cannot wait! :shock:

algebraland

#8 Post by algebraland »

yeah, well I will have had them on for 4 years (7th grade - 11th grade). And 2 more appts and I'm DONE. D to the O to the NE DONE! My ortho said we just have to close this like 0.5 mm bit gap on my right side, and to wear my triangle elastics 24/7 (yes, even when I eat, but ehhhhh). Every day closer I get, even to my next appt, I piece together what I've heard from friends about the debanding process and it's like playing over and over in my head, so excited! My next appt is in 3 weeks, then the one AFTER that I get impressions done, and the next one, it's OVER! But I'm guessing that the appt when I get impressions has to be very close to the debanding date because when they take impressions, it takes like 5 days to make a retainer and my teeth shouldn't move.

adultbraces

#9 Post by adultbraces »

If I can remember it correctly,at the introduction video at my ortho on 1st consultation it shows everyone have a slite overjet therefore the top teeth are in angle. If you were to have a teeth going down stright from your root, you won't be able to chew it will poke through your bone. I'm not sure if that measures about 2-4 mm, but hopefully this take little worry out of your mind.

SinOnYourLips

#10 Post by SinOnYourLips »

That you gusy for replies!

My teeth are still moving and it seems as my tiny gaps all over are closing, the overjet is getting smaller. It seems to be around 2-3 mm right now and I can definitely see it have enough room to move another mm back. Hopefully I will be in the 1-2mm range than and like Meryaten said - be in the "normal" group.

This is strange I thought "normal" bite was top teeth slightly over bottom and coming into full contact when biting down under a slight angle. Am I getting confused here?

When my mouth is fully closed, my top teeth do go over the bottom a little, and all of my teeth come into contact except my front 4 teeth. They just close over but do not touch.

That is not the perfect bite, is it?

SinOnYourLips

#11 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Thanks for the picture, Meryaten. Yeah in my case the front 4 teeth will not be connecting with the bottoms, due to a wider arch on top (and no braces on bottom to make it wider). I don't mind it you can't see it when
I smile and close my mouth and I think of it this way - because my front teeth won't grind together, perhaps they will stay in better condition longer :D

In any case, my overall bite is good which is why the ortho told me I didn't really need the bottoms and my prime concern was the cosmetic adjustment which was already made and corrected.

I'll try to post a picture sometime soon so you guys see what I'm talking about. But it looks something like this:
http://www.dentistryonking.com/files/4-1035-thumb.jpg

Although you cannot tell if the teeth touch in the front, it's the same when I smile. Just between tops and bottoms there is like 2-3 mm space and my teeth are not under an angle like in the picture, so there's no contact made. All my other teeth towards the back go over each other though.

So I'm assuming it's not a big deal. Or it will have to not be. :wink:

Thanks again! :)