Rude things people have said to you

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mariahfromchicago

#46 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Usually, people say: mariah, I never knew you had braces. Everyone forgets that I have them because I never choose such bright colours.
- mariah

muppet

#47 Post by muppet »

Well the favourite so far still has to be

"Ooh you've got braces - well it's about time you sorted them out"

Thanks!

Wish I'd had a good comeback but was just a bit shocked and taken aback at the time.

I like to tell people it's my new weight loss programme.

kaycee

#48 Post by kaycee »

For the most part, my friends and family have been very supportive. Some of them don't understand why I am doing this at my age (47), but they are there for me when I want to go out to dinner and just have soup and ice-cream.

The rudest comment so far has been from a business associate that I don't even know very well. He said "I hope your parents are paying for your braces like they should have when you were young." I was so shocked I didn't know what to say. Thankfully, this guy has been transferred so I don't have to deal with him anymore!

Katt

#49 Post by Katt »

I have never had anything rude said. Although my friends and Husband call me Jaws and do the little tune whenever I come in or out a room. But from them I know it's all out of love and joking. In fact one of my friends was recently out of braces and has been great in making sure I have everything I need.

sean83

#50 Post by sean83 »

I was winding my mate up recently and he responded "If you don't shut up, I'll do damage to your teeth that not even your braces can fix!" :D

If anyone else had said that I'd be less amused!
It's all gone a bit dental...

pocketgames

#51 Post by pocketgames »

i haven't had any rude comments about my braces yet (and i hope i never do!), but last thanksgiving, my 8 year old nephew said to me, "people know my other aunt as the girl with the purple hair, and they know you as the girl with crooked teeth!"

bella66

#52 Post by bella66 »

i had a woman from work ask why i was paying for my braces when i was clearly a severe case and should have them for free. Shocking considering hers are a lot worse than mine and she isn't doing anything about them

mariahfromchicago

#53 Post by mariahfromchicago »

When I went to Chicago (last July) everyone in my family noticed that I had braces. Nothing rude said though. People did say that I did have big teeth, but that was before braces.
- mariah

river

#54 Post by river »

The only thing thats happend to me was when i was at work , i was talking to a customer and all over a sudden in mid-conversation i heard him say oo braces ! Its as if he was trying to work out what was in my mouth . but then he went on to say but your teeth are fine , you dont need braces .

TumbleDryLow

#55 Post by TumbleDryLow »

"Ooh you've got braces - well it's about time you sorted them out"
I was expecting to get this one. But so far all I've gotten is support. I actually got more rude comments before I got braces. Stuff like--why didn't your parents get you braces? To which I said, "Your parents paying for them?"

Spanner

#56 Post by Spanner »

I haven't had anything particularly rude, just the usual "but there's nothing wrong with your teeth" response. Or "at your age? why?".

Although someone did say to me today "but in not many years down the line you'll be getting dentures surely so whats the point" :roll:

My friends are ok about it but there is one couple that I meet once a week down my local pub and they can't stop staring at my teeth when they never did before.

Mmmmuuaa

#57 Post by Mmmmuuaa »

I haven't had any rude comments. All my friends are supportive. People that didn't know me to well say things like "I never noticed you had bad teeth" and to the such, but I'm fine with that. I'm more hurt that my family wasn't supportive, and figured I didn't need them and my TMJ problems was just an excuse to do a vain thing, ect....... whatever, I know better.

gabi

#58 Post by gabi »

hehe. When I was growing up, my mom always told me "you could eat corn through a picket fence". Then they got me braces. :) When I was finally ready for round 2 of braces, after years of TMJ issues, my teeth wouldn't meet in the front...I couldn't bite. My friends would always laugh at me when I ate - I had to cut things up. I could usually rip into a hamburger, but never bite through the pickles or onions in the middle so I'd have these little bites through my burger that showed whole pickle slices and onion sticking out. At least I can gnaw. :)

Skates

#59 Post by Skates »

Recently while picking up a prescription, I got into a conversation with a tech who asked me what possesed me to get braces. I told him it was TMJ and my second go round with braces (If I could find my original ortho, I would love to have a LONG conversation with the incompetent hack) etc.

He told me that they were the new status symbol for people our age and I looked great in them. He also asked who my ortho was and what I recommended etc.

The funny part was when he started hinting at our ages. Remember, he said at "our age". He's 23.....I'm 40.

I could have kissed him.

freerideuk

#60 Post by freerideuk »

i haven't had too many rude comments at all about braces at all

i have had alot of nice comments like "theres always something cute about a girl in braces "

and "some people look goofy with braces but you really suit yours "

but last weekened i was out at a club and one very very rude girl decided my braces were the best way to pick on me it was very crowded and she shouted excuse me right at me and i my group of friends when we didn't move (cause we couldn't)she stared having a go at us at this point i turned round and went if you need to go to the toilet go but don't be rude.

and she started making fun of my braces and the slight lisp i have at this point her friend shoved her in the toilet and i very nicey shouted to her least i am doing something to help my self unlike you.(she was slightly overweight .....when i say slightly she was huge)

but really thats only the one bad experience i have everyone has just been intrested and curious

xxx