Archwire in or out for my cleaning?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

JerryW

Archwire in or out for my cleaning?

#1 Post by JerryW »

My dentist asked that I get my archwire removed for my cleanings,
What do you do, in or out?
My dentist and ortho are in different parts of town also seems like alot of work removing the wire when they could work around it.

thanks,
Jerry

platinum

#2 Post by platinum »

My dentist asked the same. But in my case the offices are 5 min walk apart, so no problem.

TumbleDryLow

#3 Post by TumbleDryLow »

Mine says I can leave it on.

Miss Smiley

#4 Post by Miss Smiley »

My dentist asks that I leave the wire in because he thinks it will be more comfortable for me as my teeth may feel loose.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix

mariahfromchicago

#5 Post by mariahfromchicago »

My dentist didn't care. It was left in for the cleanings though
- mariah

JerryW

#6 Post by JerryW »

Looks about even, I'm going to leave it in and see if I get yelled at.
I will update this post after my appt.

browneyedgrl

#7 Post by browneyedgrl »

I'm going in for my first cleaning with my braces in about 3 weeks and my dentist and ortho prefer that I leave the archwires in.
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

KK Cat

#8 Post by KK Cat »

When I made my first hygienist visit after getting braces I just mentioned that I had them when I made appointment and she said "that's no problem". I have had 2 visits since and another visit to my dentist and nobody has mentioned any problem with the wire as of yet anyway.

I suppose it may depend on what they have to do? I'm just carrying on as normal and I presume hygienist or dentist will tell me if they want the wires removed for visit. The ortho's office is only about a 10 minute walk from dentist & hygienist so it wouldn't be a problem if I did need to remove wire.
2 upper 1st bicuspids extracted
Uppers braced (metal), molar bands upper & lower 25 May 07
Lowers braced 22 Oct 07
Next adjustment 21 Apr 2008
Estimated brace time 2.5 years

METALMOUTHPOOH

#9 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

I just got my 1st cleaning since getting braces and they had me keep them in; she said they keep it in since teeth get loose :roll:

Qtgirl

#10 Post by Qtgirl »

I got mine cleaned last month and it was the very first time that I had my teeth cleaned with my wires out. I go to several dentists for cleaning :lol: (about 3) and 2 of them are in the same building as my orthodontist. Honestly, they are trained to clean the teeth with the wires in..but I guess it will make their work a tad bit easier if its out. Personally my teeth felt kinda weird without the wires and ligs :? , however I rather have them taken out.

speerjo

#11 Post by speerjo »

My ortho is my dentist also. Is that weird?

OrangeGeek

Wires out

#12 Post by OrangeGeek »

I've had 3 cleanings so far with my braces in and just had my first one without the wires last week....SO MUCH BETTER!

I'm really diligent about flossing and trying to keep my teeth clean, but they just felt a lot cleaner when I had the wires off. I felt like the lady could really get in there.

PfectPitch

#13 Post by PfectPitch »

I'd have to take at least whole day off just to get my teeth cleaned. I have three power chains and a lot of bends in my upper archwire. My hygienist is not at all put out by this, having had braces recently herself, and says it's no trouble.

breal87

#14 Post by breal87 »

I have my cleaning next week and they did not ask me to take the wires out - but they might ask me to come back for the cleaning since i get the braces off March 3

Test

KatieBug

#15 Post by KatieBug »

My dentist asked that it be removed once I get the braces on...but I don't really care because they are right next door to eachother! Convenient huh :wink:

-KatieBug

[/url]