Metal Spacers?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KatieBug

Metal Spacers?

#1 Post by KatieBug »

Anyone ever had these painful things? I started with rubber and moved to metal spacers and they are very painful! Let me know if you have a similar experience

[/url]

mariahfromchicago

#2 Post by mariahfromchicago »

That stinks. :( Lucky me I didn't need the metal type. Hope the fitting for the herbst will work.
- mariah

kittymeow84

#3 Post by kittymeow84 »

Yeh one of eight of my spacers was metal.

The ortho used it because my filling made it impossible to get a rubber one in there. Horrid little things. I covered mine in wax but got used to it after a few days. Didn't help that it tended to jiggle and while eating I would often freak out that I had swallowed it.
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

gabi

#4 Post by gabi »

I've had a mix of metal and rubber. The metal ones wiggle a bit, but I don't think they are as uncomfortable as the rubber ones.

peach

#5 Post by peach »

I also had a mix of metal and rubber spacers. They had to use the metal ones for my teeth that were so close that the rubber ones wouldn't fit. They didn't really bother me.

TEXLADY

#6 Post by TEXLADY »

I had a mix - rubber and metal because 3 of my teeth that need the molar bands were crowned and the contacts were tight. SO they put metal in those for 4 days and then I went back and the metal opened up enough space to remove them and "shove" the rubber ones in. Wore spacers for a total of two weeks. When I went to be braced the rubbers ones that got put in where the metal had been were in so tight they really had to dig them out.

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

all 3 of my kids had metal. They didn't mind them.

The ortho said he uses them because they are less painful...I have to say that none of my 3 kids had much pain from their spacers. Makes me wonder how bad it would have been for you to have rubber??

I didn't have spacers so I don't have a comparison...
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Chypre

#8 Post by Chypre »

All 8 of mine were metal. They hurt like *insert profane descriptive of choice* too! ;)

I think what bothered me most was that they moved. Metallic teeter totters between my molars were something I'd rather have lived without, but my contacts were just too tight for the softees.

They really were the worst part of my experience though. (Although I'm dreading the debanding session... I've had several brackets repositioned and I swear that my teeth were being shattered along with the cement!)