Bad news..im getting them off..UPDATED PICS

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

berries

#31 Post by berries »

newmetal, I'm so sorry you're having this trouble.

I may be skipping forward to the steps of last resort, but a while back I stumbled upon this site:

http://www.orthodontic-outrage.com/index.html

Even though its focus is on extractions, I wonder if the people involved in this organization might be able to assist you in some way, because it seems that they would have a lot of information and experience regarding avenues of redress.

I hope you can work this out with your ortho, of course, and I hope that you will get the good results you deserve!

iBorg

#32 Post by iBorg »

newmetal:
Your outrage is justified. I think your coming here to confirm your opinion is also wise. If you were to ask someone nit as attuned to the process they may not understand either your emotions or the possibilities. The question of what to do next is the issue. I think you need to put down a series of questions and ask for options. Are you on NHS? If so, can they help at all? There is absolutely no way I'd agree to have the bottoms off until a treatment plan is put in place to address your issues. For 2500 pounds, you deserve to be satisfied. This ending the procedure where you are now reeks of taking a short cut based upon you having paid your contract allowance and now are nothing more than a liability.

I wish you well. You deserve much better.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

cosmicgirl

#33 Post by cosmicgirl »

Hi Newmetal!
Just had a flash of inspiration - so rare these days... But, have you thought that in the worst case scenario, you could have a veneer put on your lateral? More expense I know... but an option.

When I plucked up courage to even SEE a dentist about straightening my teeth, my first thought was VENEERS!!! Instant results and less expensive than braces! But he advised me to go the proper route which I knew deep down was the right one. However, he was open to putting veneers on after treatment if I wanted.

So, there is a light at the end of the tunnel! But, please try to talk this through with the ortho. I know it can be uncomfortable - you don't want to criticise his work, but then again, if you approach it in a calm manner, and armed with all the suggestions here, I'm certain you'll make good progress and get it through to him, in the nicest way!
Good luck!

beth1966

#34 Post by beth1966 »

Hi - sorry you are not pleased with your results, I think your teeth look awesome!

I do have another question for you - I don't have braces yet but met with the ortho last night who i plan to use. He uses Invu brackets and I think i read on another thread that those are what you have.

I haven't been able to see many pictures of them but did see them on a model in his office.

Just wondering if you are pleased with them? Did you find them somewhat comfortable? Any info you have would be great.

Thanks! Hope you are able to resolve your situation.

newmetal

#35 Post by newmetal »

Hi - sorry you are not pleased with your results, I think your teeth look awesome!

I do have another question for you - I don't have braces yet but met with the ortho last night who i plan to use. He uses Invu brackets and I think i read on another thread that those are what you have.

I haven't been able to see many pictures of them but did see them on a model in his office.

Just wondering if you are pleased with them? Did you find them somewhat comfortable? Any info you have would be great.

Thanks! Hope you are able to resolve your situation.
Many Thanks to Berries, iBorg and cosmicgirl for your suggestions, they were all really helpful and i looked into each suggestion. What ive decided to do is write a letter to my ortho over the weekend, explaining my concerns and what i want to see changed with my lateral and canine...in this should i mention or suggest an expander etc, because whilst i want to show him that i am willing to take my treatment up a level (or take two steps back), i don't want to sound like i am telling him how to do his job. What do you think?

Hello Beth1966. Invu braces have been really good so far. When i started the brace treatment i was keen to get braces that were not as visible as the traditional ones, and invu fits this criteria. In regards to their comfort, like any brace they took a few days to get use to but ive found them comfortable, the only problem has been with the wires poking out at the back at times, but you will get that with any brace. What i will warn you about is the staining, because the ligs are clear with invu brackets, they stain much easier so if you eat coloured foods they will turn a nasty yellow colour, which makes it look as though your teeth are yellow and not the the actual ligs on the brace. Although, with the right ortho i would highly reccommend invu braces, my current issues have been down to the orthos work and not the invu brackets etc. I hope i've cleared up any questions you have, but if you have anymore queries do not hesistate to contact me.

Many Thanks,

Newmetal

beth1966

#36 Post by beth1966 »

Thanks very much for the response!!!

I am surprised to hear that your ligs turned color and made your teeth appear to be a 'nasty yellow color'. I would think NO dentist would use these products if that happened to any of their patients ya know?

My dentists office maintains that they have had NO issues with this whatsoever. How often did you go to have your ligs changed? He will see me every 3 weeks.

I know that it is the end result that we are all concerned about - but I am a bit of a nut when it comes to dental hygiened and the appearance of my teeth. With braces or not - I do NOT want to worry about smiling and looking like I have corn kernels for teeth. THIS is why the self ligating brackets appeal to me so much.

I liked this ortho quite a bit - but once I commit to him and his treatment plan, and I experience what you did- it will be too late to turn back! :cry:

Some people on here have told me not to stress out about it - but this is who I am and it is gonna bug the heck out of me if I have to deal with yellow looking teeth between visits. And I refuse to give up my coffee and pasta with tomato sauce for 18 months.

But this isn't your problem! :lol:
Thanks for the response!

newmetal

#37 Post by newmetal »

Thanks very much for the response!!!

I am surprised to hear that your ligs turned color and made your teeth appear to be a 'nasty yellow color'. I would think NO dentist would use these products if that happened to any of their patients ya know?

My dentists office maintains that they have had NO issues with this whatsoever. How often did you go to have your ligs changed? He will see me every 3 weeks.

I know that it is the end result that we are all concerned about - but I am a bit of a nut when it comes to dental hygiened and the appearance of my teeth. With braces or not - I do NOT want to worry about smiling and looking like I have corn kernels for teeth. THIS is why the self ligating brackets appeal to me so much.

I liked this ortho quite a bit - but once I commit to him and his treatment plan, and I experience what you did- it will be too late to turn back! :cry:

Some people on here have told me not to stress out about it - but this is who I am and it is gonna bug the heck out of me if I have to deal with yellow looking teeth between visits. And I refuse to give up my coffee and pasta with tomato sauce for 18 months.

But this isn't your problem! :lol:
Thanks for the response!
Yea i understand your worry, if it's any concelation if you stay of the colouring foods and drink it wont turn the clear ligs that deep yellow colour. I have an adjustment every 6 weeks and i wait until week 5 to drink coke, eat curry and have ketchup, so i only have to go a weel with the yellow ligs. If you really don't want the yellow staining you could perhaps get grey or some other ligs instead of clear ones? Or perhaps look into traditional brace.

Hope this helps.

Newmetal

beth1966

#38 Post by beth1966 »

Thanks - what I think I will do is talk to him more about it. And maybe speak to a few of his adult patients and see what they say. He very may well use a different color lig that he has found does not turn yellow. That is the only thing I can think of that would make him say it is not a problem in his office. He wouldn't lie to me about it as I know he wants me to be happy with whatever I choose. So I will speak to him more about it.

Thks!

cosmicgirl

#39 Post by cosmicgirl »

Hi newmetal!
An expander could help - is that the same as a quad helix? Hurts like hell, but worth a try! Might give you that extra couple of mm that you need...
I am SO hoping this works out for you!

newmetal

#40 Post by newmetal »

Thanks cosmicgirl, im hoping he resorts to using some sort of appliance to make the space needed.

Anyone, from looking at my pictures, could just let me know what i should draw my ortho's attention to when i write the letter later today. I've decided to write a letter because im living at Uni so i can't get in to see him personally because my Uni is miles asway. Also, i feel the letter will allow me to articulate my issues in a clearer and perhaps more assertive way. My first issue i will raise will be concerning the left lateral and how i think it needs more rotation or tipping to image the right one. Any other things i need to draw attention to?..

Many Thanks
Newmetal

newmetal

#41 Post by newmetal »

Remember that the two arches need to be matched. So you can't just expand the upper if it is already well matched to the lower, or you mess up the bite. Of course, I'm no dental pro, but it really looked like very little extra space is needed, so I truly do wonder if IPR is not the very best way to go - and it would not require all that much longer, I reckon.

As to staining ligs - some people are more bothered by it than others, I think. It didn't bother me ... to be honest I didn't realise how stained my ligs were til they were removed! But, as noted above, you can always strike a compromise and choose a lig that is still subtle, but stains less.
Thanks alot for that information Meryaten, it was very informative. I'm just curious as to how IPR works, which teeth would they need to shave down etc? And do all orthos practise this?

My ortho is planning on taking off my lowers on my next appointment, if he decides to do IPR, would this affect this?

Once again, many thanks for the response as it was very informative.

Newmetal

Clo

#42 Post by Clo »

Hi,

you know this thing. When you ask only a small thing and you can get it. But when
you ask such a big thing, it is like something breaks and you get nothing except a
totally broken communication. I (and again my very humble opinion) think this can
happen when you ask for expansion by using an expander. I wouldn't mention this
at all. Only ask for a certain result, not how he should do it. Like I mentioned before,
rounding out the left part could do the trick. This is a small movement from inside
to the outside, making the arch there a tiny bit bigger. Enough space is gained then
to align those teeth better. A skilled ortho does that with only a stronger wire and
some torquing and can achieve this effect in days or only some weeks.

str8teeth

#43 Post by str8teeth »

Have you thought about getting a consult with another orthodontist just to get a totally seperate professional opinion? I know of several people who have done this and I think it would really help to guide you on what to do. Just from looking at your pictures, I would think that he would have had you in elastics for months before now to correct your bite. It does look like your upper teeth, and arch, need to widen out more...do you know what size wires you are currently wearing? Also, the position of the incisors has a lot to do with bracket position in addition to tooth shape, etc. Perhaps he needs to shift the brackets a bit to help the teeth move into place more? I definitely wouldn't settle after paying the money and going through the hassle of having braces. Make sure you are 100% happy with the results before they come off! Otherwise, you'll always regret it.
I'm planning to post all of my orthodontic photos to SmugMug. If you are interested in opening an account with SmugMug (which I highly recommend), enter my referral coupon code of 70duJYrJFlNyQ for $5 off the cost of their service. Please feel free to contact me with any questions or comments you may have. Enjoy, and let me know what you think.

mariahfromchicago

#44 Post by mariahfromchicago »

Your teeth look great!
- mariah

newmetal

#45 Post by newmetal »

Many Thanks for all your responses. I too feel that certain brackets should be repositioned due to movement, especially the one on my left canine and left inscisor.

Thanks for the information Meryaten, do you think i should ask the ortho if IPR would help or would that come across like i am telling him how to do his job?

Here are some pictures i took today, two weeks on from my last adjustment. My powerchains are very stained at the moment due to the curry i ate last night...i have to say i feel that there has been quite alot of improvement since the last pictures i took two weeks ago (You can find these on page one of this post).
Pictures:

My left side:

My right side: