Tooth with large silver filling hurts

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TEXLADY

Tooth with large silver filling hurts

#1 Post by TEXLADY »

I have one tooth with a rather large filling (the first tooth next to the banded molar) that really hurts with any pressure - food or a touch with the finger. I had used a new dentist when I had this tooth filled a couple of years ago - and it stayed sensitive for months after the initlal filling - like little shocks - I think he must've drilled too deep or something - I never went back to him. Anway, this tooth feels very different than any of my other braced teeth. I am not due to go back to the ortho for 8 weeks - is this sensitivity normal with a filled tooth that has been braced or is this something I should call the ortho about soon? Has anyone experienced this sensitivity with any of their filled teeth and does the soreness abate or is it a concern?

momof3

#2 Post by momof3 »

You should have it checked out... The longer you wait the more of a chance you have of damaging the tooth. You may have a crack in the tooth.

mariahfromchicago

#3 Post by mariahfromchicago »

I agree with momof3

peach

#4 Post by peach »

Hi TexLady. If that tooth is causing you trouble, I would definitely call the ortho and see what he/she has to say about it (especially since this is a tooth that has caused you problems in the past). Best of luck :D

loulou123

#5 Post by loulou123 »

Hi

i had the exact same problem as you, with pain in one of my molars thats banded and pretty filled too.

I tried to ignore the pain, but it got worse and i had to have the tension released abit on the archwire, after this had been done it felt much better.

Definately get it checked out by the ortho, you dont want to be in pain if you dont have to be.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

badbite

#6 Post by badbite »

Listen to Meryaten and call your general dentist. The ortho will probably teel you to call your genewral dentist anyway. I have a tooth like that and the Ortho tapped it and it seemed fine. I though I must be clenching at ngght or soemething. The pain did not go away and I went to a general dentist (A new one -my old one was a major idiot!) and the tooth is infected. A deep filling means the dentist was probably very close to the nerve when he drilled.

I have to get a root canal and crown on my tooth.

RPE in on Jan 7, 2008
SARPE on Jan 11, 2008 expanded 7 mm
RPE out on May 14, 2008

BrandonH

#7 Post by BrandonH »

I have a gold crown and it's very sensitive --- it's been that way since it was filled over 12 years ago.

I had a cleaning / checkup 2 weeks before seeing my ortho. Nothing was wrong then. At my work up, my ortho (who's also a general dentist) did a check up and found no cavities, etc.

I do know that he and the tech were extra careful when installing my appliances on that gold crown.

Maybe you just have sensitive tooth like mine, but I bet a visit with a dentist would be the best.

HIMgurl

#8 Post by HIMgurl »

I too have a large filling in a molar. Its not banded yet but its never cause me any trouble. Go to both dentist to see what the problem is. You may need to get a root canal to fix the ache. I'm not a dentist, just my cents. Please don't wait, get in as soon as you can.
I have just completed my treatment!!

Kat

#9 Post by Kat »

If you gut tells you there is somethinf serious go see. I too have a VERY large filling that should have been a crown from the start yreas ago on a molar. It has been good all this time after the original healing time. Well, sinse I've had braces I find that not just that tooth but others I neve thought I had a problem with started to worry me. I read here many times that people have this and I asked my ortho and he says "It's totally normal" Now when I have a weird feeling I relax and not get all in a wad and let it fix it self. I know my teeth are moving around and are going to continue to do so and find that again, different feelings from different teeth is normal.

NOW, if it pains you or again, if you know there's something wrong go in. I have a root canal that was f ckered up by a dentist and I just knew it was goping to be a pain and I'd have to have it removed because it was sensitive to start-real bad. ANyway, it has a band and gets sore but it's normal I've been told by bot ortho and dentist.

Filled tooth... better to take care of it now if it needs it. Yo may find other things that pop up throughout treatment. I did as well as MANY others here.
Glad things are coming to a head so we can get them taken care of.

Sorry so long, I hope it somehow helps. Please let us know.

cosmicgirl

#10 Post by cosmicgirl »

I had one of my crowns rebanded on Saturday and that did hurt!
But I also had a heavier wire put on and now the pain has gone... so, I put the discomfort down to the wire, as ALL my teeth started aching.
If you're in pain, DEFINITELY see a dentist, but before you panic imagining root canal work etc (as I did!) give your mouth a couple of days to recover, THEN re-evaluate!
Hope all is ok!

TEXLADY

#11 Post by TEXLADY »

Was just braced one week ago - saw the ortho yesterday and mentioned my tooth hurting with the silver filling - he said it is too soon to tear that tooth down - he'd like me to wait at least one month and give it time to "settle down" If it is bothering me after one month - then he wants me to see my dentist.