They messed up with a rotated tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LadyGoddess

They messed up with a rotated tooth

#1 Post by LadyGoddess »

So I went back to the ortho yesterday. He took a look at my mouth and then asked how long I'd had them on: 23 months. He tells me to follow him, then he brings over the assistant who has been working on my teeth. He berates the guy by demanding "what do we fix first? The front or the back?" The guy mumbles the front. Then he mentions I have a rotated tooth. He yells at the guy some more and then sends us both on our way.

Now an elastic is running from my top right canine across the front of my mouth to the bottom left canine (it is hurting a lot). I've been doing some research on rotated teeth and this does not seem to be the correct thing that needs to be done to fix the tooth.

You see, I mentioned 4-5 months ago to a different assistant that something was off but I was told that I didn't know what I was talking about. The upper right canine appears to have been dragged forward and almost beginning to edge behind the tooth in front of it, leaving a large and noticeable gap between the canine and the tooth behind it. When I mentioned it before, I was dismissed with a "oh the roots of your teeth are in the way so there's nothing that can be done to close the gap" despite the fact that pre-braces, there were NO gaps anywhere in the top row of my teeth.

I now don't have any confidence in anything that's going on with my braces. As I said, if they're trying to move that incisor back into its corrected position, it looks like it be chained or something and pulled backwards not connected by elastic in the direction its moved towards.

Any thoughts?

The second thing is that my braces are on due to Medicaid. I signed a 2 year contract with them, however thanks to their messing up, it looks like it'll be a few more months of work. Do you think they'll try to harass me about them having to stay on longer than the contract? Does it hurt when the brackets are finally removed?

Thanks!

BallPointPen

#2 Post by BallPointPen »

Sorry to reply with another question but quite often in posts from US members you mention orthos assistants doing adjustments. Does this mean that the person who does all the work in your mouth isn't actually a qualified orthodontist?

LadyGoddess

#3 Post by LadyGoddess »

That's what it seems like. There's the orthodontist who spends 90% of his time lecturing the parents in the waiting room on the glories of Jesus (he used to be a missionary), and then only comes into the back whenever an assistant needs him. He'll come to the back to doublecheck and offer criticisms but as for himself, he hardly ever touches a patient's mouth.

BallPointPen

#4 Post by BallPointPen »

:shock: Wow that seems crazy to me. Like letting someone who isn't a doctor operate on you.

Do you know what kind of training the assistants have to go through before they can do it?

LadyGoddess

#5 Post by LadyGoddess »

I have no idea. Most of the assistants speak very little English, which makes it even more nerve-wrecking. I had one guy repeatedly apologize to me as I winced my way through an adjustment. It was very sweet, but when I tried to ask him a question, he told me "No English."

:?

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Is there any way you can get another consult with a different orthodontist?

Seems this one's got issues with his office and his staff.

He should have checked the work done by the assistant EVERY time you are there. For him to go to the assistant and scream at him for work he should have inspected is unprofessional and rediculous.

I say get out of there!

BTW, the elastic you describe would be used to fix a midline that is off. Is yours off? A rotated tooth can farily easily be fixed with the archwire and bracket or with a wedge.

GOOD LUCK!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

TumbleDryLow

#7 Post by TumbleDryLow »

OK....I want to offer support, but lots of red flags are going up in my head. First, while assistants do a lot of work in the US, you should always been seen by your ortho at each adjustment and the ortho should tell the assistant exactly what to do. If that isn't happening, then that's a huge problem in my opinion. (Unless just fixing a poking wire or changing out ligs.) And not being able to communicate is a huge problem no matter what. I truly am sorry for your situation, I really don't know how the Medicaid system works. Look over the contract carefully. If you see any loophole that will allow you to leave the practice, I would encourage you to contact Medicaid about doing that. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

LadyGoddess

#8 Post by LadyGoddess »

Hmm, I just popped off the elastic and took a look. If it is, its only by a mm. I had that midline adjusted last summer and I wasn't aware of it being off at all.

I guess I'm just frustrated. I want them to fix the mistake they've made with that big gap.

As for finding a new orthodontist, as far as I'm aware, this is the only orthodontist in the state who accepts Medicaid. I drive 2 hrs to get there coming from the west. Yesterday I spoke to a lady who brings her kids a 3 hr drive from the east. I absolutely don't have the money to go elsewhere, so it looks like I'm stuck with this guy! Hopefully by the time this is over, they'll look fine. If not, I guess someday in the future I may hopefully have my own health insurance to take care of anything that's still wrong.

Thanks, guys!

jennielee81

#9 Post by jennielee81 »

Sounds like you've got no option other than to stick with this guy.... you will probably end up with an acceptable result; the process, however, is going to be trial for your poor nerves!!! :(
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

kjw1214

#10 Post by kjw1214 »

My orthodontist only puts the brackets on, his assistants do all lig changes, power chains, adjusments, etc. At first i thought it was off, but he looks at it when they are done to make sure it is right.... sometimes i wonder why i pay him.. lol i should pay his assistants!!
December 12, 2007- Paritally Braced, left canine back in all two brackets, nance and both bands.
Feb 4, 2008 First "adjustment" and first power chain!
March 26, 2008 Second adjustment, new power chain and wire and a full banding date. Seven weeks!
May 12 2008-----Full Banding Date!!!

LadyGoddess

#11 Post by LadyGoddess »

Haha, well, my orthodontist has done nothing but pop my teeth with a round mirror a few times. His assistants made the molds, x-rayed my teeth, put the brackets on, everything.

On the walls, past patients who have completed treatment write "Thanks Dr.!" I'm going to write something along the lines of "Thank you staff! <3"

breal87

#12 Post by breal87 »

I know that the assistants do a lot of the work such as changing ligs, placing the wires in the brackets, removing wire. But my ortho doesn't just straight up not do anything. He makes the bends in the archwire for appropriate teeth, he inspects the bite, when i had the braces put on he is the one who puts them into their precise spot and the assistant cures it.

I duno I just think that the assistants do a lot of the gofer work - but the ortho is the one who makes the ultimate decisions

Test

adultbraces

#13 Post by adultbraces »

I was amazed by their one-quick-glace at each visit. Ortho's assistant do all the work. (except for the bracket attachtment) I've always wondered about their origin for these assistant, are they registered Nurse? What class does it really teach you how to wire up the braces in Dental School?
Although my assistant have not made any mistake as farest I know.. but when I get to the office after waiting patiently 6-8 weeks, I see my ortho for less than 1 min in the office. And they monthly payment is like $200.
Assistant tighten up the wire and orthodontist come and check visually and the assistant goes ' you want this tighter?' and Orthodontist goes 'yeah little bit more'.
How little are we talking about here? Like they can visually tell everythign without even touching your teeth.. Sometime I feel like I'm craving for more attention at my orthodontist. :oops:

funshine

#14 Post by funshine »

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting things done correctly. I imagine that is so frustrating! I haven't had my first adjustment yet so I don't know how often I will see the ortho.

I have a rotated tooth too. My dentist always wanted to yank it when I'd go in for cleanings. The ortho said he was very glad I never yanked it and that he could turn it no problem. I am anxious that this tooth could move that much. It has a long way to go and has no bracket on it yet.

Maybe we have similar rotations? Do you have any pics? I'll send you a message with a couple of pics. I'd love to compare notes.

I truly hope things get better for you!