Maybe a dumb question about elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Dawna

Maybe a dumb question about elastics

#1 Post by Dawna »

How do they work? I am a bit confused as to how they move the correct teeth - let me explain.

My right upper molars need to come down. My left lower molars need to shift up. I'm wearing elastics on both sides, but how do they move the teeth that need shifting, and not teeth the other half of the elastic is attached to? I'm asking because I fancy that my right lower molars are shifting more and more up, rather than just the uppers....

purpleteeth

#2 Post by purpleteeth »

I got elastics the day I got my braces and I have been told they will be one of the biggest factors in helping me with my TMJ/TMD problems. They are and will be in my ENTIRE treatment, not like so many *lucky people* who just get them for a short while.

My othro said something about the elastics being able to provide a constant force on the teeth at angles and in ways that archwires can't achieve. You change the rubber bands multiple times a day and they can be placed in many different ways, depending on what forces your orthodontist needs them to place on your teeth. My ortho said it was a gentler way of getting the job done, instead of having such harsh forces against my teeth. The elastics are gentle, constant, and can be adjusted (different strengths etc...).

Some people get them for fine tuning, other people (like me) will use them for the major stuff.

For me, they have actually been used to expand my top palate --- instead of using an expander. They have reduced the crowding on top and literally expanded my arch and upper jaw.

Personally, I adore my elastics. They help hold my jaw in place and make my braces more comfortable. When I first got them, they caused me the most pain though :oops: but now I find myself in more pain when I don't have them. They also keep my teeth from hitting together most of the time :D

jorx

#3 Post by jorx »

That's right, I have the same feeling about my elastics! I 'need' them and make my mouth feel better. If the first day I got them somebody had told me that I would end up 'loving' them I would've thought she was crazy! But now it is so weird to not wear them!