Elastics?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TEXLADY

Elastics?

#1 Post by TEXLADY »

So how long does the "average" person have to wear elastics? I am on an 18-24 month wear schedule and at some point will have to wear elastics and just wondering how long that phase lasts.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I suspect that there is no such thing as average when it comes to elastics. It all depends on the reason why elastics are being deployed. That said, I wore elastics in various configurations for 15 out of 21 months of treatment.

Qtgirl

#3 Post by Qtgirl »

Everyones different. I have been wearing mine for quite some time...and I think I will be wearing them until my treatment is over.

ibraceface

#4 Post by ibraceface »

Ill be in elastics 6 out of 26 months..

Kat

#5 Post by Kat »

Me it will be amost 2 years at end of treatment. I've come to rely on my elastics, they keep me straight. HA!

24KSmile

#6 Post by 24KSmile »

Hi all,
I've had my braces for 2 years and 10 months and I've NEVER had elastics. Has anyone else NOT had elastics?

purpleteeth

#7 Post by purpleteeth »

I am slated for a 18month treatment plan and the whole time is planned for elastics. I have TMD and the cosmetic corrections will be a nice addition, but I'll be in elastics my entire time.

I started out with one set, then they switched me from 2oz strength to 6oz strength within the first maybe 3 weeks... because I bit through them in my sleep. I am approx. 3.5 months into my treatment and I wear elastics that go from my 2nd molar, attached to the back side, that then strap to my 2nd molar and attach on the front --- which will widen my top jaw. I'm 25 and they would not do a palatal expander.

I actually LIKE my elastics. They feel so much better than not having them in... at least for me... and they come in colors ;) My braces don't get colors because I use Damon Brackets, so I am excited about the fun colored rubber bands :shock: Hehe!!!
Last edited by purpleteeth on Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jumbie

#8 Post by jumbie »

I don't have elastics and I was asking this same question on here the day before. I don't think I will be getting cause I have been told my bite was always A-OK.
Banded 7th March 2007
Braced 12th April 2007-Ceramic uppers
Braced 7th May 2007-Metal lowers
http://bracefacejumbie.blogspot.com

braced4asmile

#9 Post by braced4asmile »

I've had elastics for a few months, but only at night. I've been told that I am nearing the end and I'll wear them until the end. When the end is, no one knows!!

Anxious to be debanded 4/23/08!

jorx

#10 Post by jorx »

It depends, most people just get them the final months or so. I had them in 10 months after starting the treatment and I've been told that most likely they will remain there until the very end of my treatment, that it is wxpected to las around 24 months... But it depends on your bite and most people I know only got them the final months!

I hope you are lucky although they are not that bad. When I take mines out I kinda miss them! it is weird but my mouth just feels loose without the elastics.

Well, I have to admit that there is one that I am not wearing all the time (the front one, for my midline) because it makes me feel so uncomfortable wearing it in public...

jorx

#11 Post by jorx »

It depends, most people just get them the final months or so. I had them in 10 months after starting the treatment and I've been told that most likely they will remain there until the very end of my treatment, that it is wxpected to las around 24 months... But it depends on your bite and most people I know only got them the final months!

I hope you are lucky although they are not that bad. When I take mines out I kinda miss them! it is weird but my mouth just feels loose without the elastics.

Well, I have to admit that there is one that I am not wearing all the time (the front one, for my midline) because it makes me feel so uncomfortable wearing it in public...

Chiwawamom

#12 Post by Chiwawamom »

I was just told...."toward the end" of my treatment...I guess it has to do with progress?

24KSmile

#13 Post by 24KSmile »

I must be making progress!! After 3 years in braces, I got my first elastics today. They are a simple box configuration from upper canine to lower pre-molar then the lower second molar to the upper first molar.

They feel a little weird at this point & I've heard that they can be annoying but I'm just happy to have them. Here's hoping I get the braces off this year!

Steel

Elastics

#14 Post by Steel »

I had mine on for a couple of years too,,,they're not that bad,but it does feel a little embarassing showing them off in public.I wear elastics from bottom backs to my tops...like some diagonal stuff..I Love wearing braces..o u

Miss Smiley

#15 Post by Miss Smiley »

So far I'm still on full-time elastics, class II on the right and class III on the left. My ortho says my elastics are indefinite, but I heard him telling the assistants to order 3 different types and for the past 2 months or so and 2 months prior in the end of last year I've only used one strength. I'll be worried to see what the other two elastics will have in store for me.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix