Kind of depressed now... [Trying to decide to do it or not]

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SGPWired

#16 Post by SGPWired »

No kidding... your teeth are NOT that bad. I've browsed other ortho websites and the examples they show are far worse, down right scary.

Lisa65

#17 Post by Lisa65 »

I wish my teeth were that good! Seriously!

5-6 mm is a tad on the large side for an overjet at the end of treatment. The "ideal" is 4mm or less. If it is much bigger then your bite might not be stable because your top and bottom front teeth will not meet at the correct angle. I'm not sure about trumpet playing. I play the trombone and my overjet is currently 9mm!!! But of course the trumpet mouthpiece being so much smaller and needing higher lip tension, will be different.

Your molars look like they are biting together properly so it's just that bit of crowding at the front. If you really don't want a tooth removed then maybe you should get a few more consults. Hopefully you can find an ortho who is prepared to work with what you have. Some enamel reduction might be enough to give you the necessary space.

Good luck!

Memran

#18 Post by Memran »

Thanks! You guys make me feel better already :)

The ortho didn't say he wouldn't do it without extractions, he just says I won't be happy with the results.

I've been to get my x-rays this morning on the way to work, but stupidly left them at work :(, next appointment is a week on Monday so plenty of time to get them and post on here.

I've contacted another ortho, but they won't see me from a self-referral. They only take referrals from a dentist... Seems a bit odd to me, but I can accommodate them easily enough :)

SinOnYourLips

#19 Post by SinOnYourLips »

I actually just wanted to complement you on your VERY healthy looking teeth, wow I don't know if its the quality of the pictures but it looks like you never even had a filling done! Your teeth are also very white, on the insides as well which is not that common and overall look so glossy and in good shape.

So definitely not nasty, just a little crowded. I think your results, whether or not you'll need/get extractions, will be gorgeous!

Best of luck!

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

Memran

#20 Post by Memran »

Why, thank you :)

Although the picture quality does show them slightly better than they are, there's not much difference. Maybe slightly less white than they appear. You are correct though, I've never had a filling :o

Feb 14th this year was actually my first dentist visit for over 15 years :shock:, (since I was at school), and in that time I was only brushing once a day, in the morning, and not flossing or using mouthwash! I honestly don't know why my teeth are as healthy as they are. Maybe I'm just lucky in that regard. Or maybe its because I almost never had sweets (always preferred to have some fruit as a snack) and didn't drink many fizzy drinks.

Of course during the past few months while I've been thinking a lot more seriously about orthodintic work, I'm brushing morning and evening and after meals, as well as using a mouthwash. I needed to get myself into the habbit ready for when I'm braced. I should probably get used to flossing too, because I've never done it :oops:

Memran

#21 Post by Memran »

Ok, I've retrieved my xrays from the office (silly me :)) and coudn't resist taking a peek, and boy do I wish I hadn't!!! :(

Ok that looks ok. I can deal with that one... don't know what that weird curly line is though...

But this...! :shock:
Whats going on with my lower wisdom teeth!?

OH NO!! They're gonna crash! lol

So yea... anyone remember my original mantra for this thread? :roll:

jennielee81

#22 Post by jennielee81 »

Wow!! Those lower 3rd molars are textbook examples of impacted teeth!

They look so comfey laying there :wink: ..... is there plans to have them removed?
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Memran

#23 Post by Memran »

No plans as yet, because no dentist or orthodontist has seen the x-rays yet. I have book an appointment for Monday with the ortho, and Thursday with the dentist, so that we can discuss it.

Is it common for them to be extracted when they lie like that?

Nearly freaked out when I first saw them! :shock:

jennielee81

#24 Post by jennielee81 »

don't know how common, but the "extraction" of impacted molars is a little more involved than errupted ones.

Sometimes, if they're not bothering anyone (you and/or the dentist) they are left alone. Mine got infected and had to be removed. Perhaps that is what will be planned for you? My dentist is in the "leave it alone until they're a problem" category.

Either way, if they have to come out, it's a relatively monor procedure and the recovery is just a couple of days.

It is kinda freaky looking at them in an x-ray though! :shock:
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

SinOnYourLips

#25 Post by SinOnYourLips »

Memran, wow that is so interesting! Don't mean to sound excited about your problem or anything, just very interesting to see what these things look like on x-rays! I never seen mine but now I think I will ask to see them at my debanding, just for kicks :X

Let us know what they decide to do, it seems pretty tricky!
Keep up updated :)

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

Arvensis

#26 Post by Arvensis »

I think you need to start adding my mantra to the end of yours. They really are quite lovely drugs.
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.

adultbraces

#27 Post by adultbraces »

as much as I hated 4 healthy teeth to be pulled, I've been to 3 different orthodontintist and they've all said I need to have extraction for my overbite. And I felt it was such a waste b/c my teeth are pretty straight, all I want was my teeth to move in more. I've already experienced 3 yrs of braces( retainer) w/o extraction and it got me where I'm today.
I'd suggest you to visit different orthdontist for more options, and at the end if you find out extraction is the only option, you probably need to accept it.
You can see my photos at braces stories>adultbraces

kittymeow84

#28 Post by kittymeow84 »

Those wisdoms are EXACTLY like mine!!

Well, I'm missing one of the bottom ones, but my other one sits completely horizontal.

My ortho told me it can stay where it is as it's not doing anything lying there. According to him it won't affect my treatment and I'll take his word for it.

Maybe after I've paid for the braces I'll fork out for the $1000 or so its gonna cost to have my wisdom teeth removed.
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

TumbleDryLow

#29 Post by TumbleDryLow »

I only had 3 wisdom teeth too, but my lower tooth looked just like yours as well! Quite common, I think. At the urging of my dentist (and because I had dental insurance that covered most of the cost) had all 3 removed back in my 20's. I was completely knocked out for the procedure. Best sleep I ever had!

breal87

#30 Post by breal87 »

Wow your wisdoms are really impacted! I would definitely have them removed, they may cause crowding since they are pushing right up against the roots of your molars...

i had all 4 of mine removed, it was ok minus the dry socket i had!

Test