12 Hooks... Arrggh!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenna28

12 Hooks... Arrggh!

#1 Post by Jenna28 »

Okay, it's my turn to whine! I just got my upper braces. Lower braces to come in 6 months, and upper & lower jaw surgery in a year or so. Quite to my surprise, my ortho decided that this would be a good time to install all the hooks they would need for surgery. Talk about advance-planning, here I am at least a year from surgery, and I already have hooks on 12 out of my 14 upper teeth! Is this normal, or does my ortho just have a sick sense of humor to make me deal with these things for an extra year for no reason?

cally

#2 Post by cally »

That's really odd. Sorry. :(

JML0090

which hooks?

#3 Post by JML0090 »

If you mean the hooks on the brackets then i think you only get 1 set of brackets. So, if you need hooks at anytime in your treatment you have to get the brackets with hooks in the begining. If you mean some other kind of hooks then i have no idea. This is what i think, but im not an ortho.

loulou123

#4 Post by loulou123 »

Some of my brackets had little hooks on them from the beginning, and i had hooks for elastics added to the archwire after a few months, but my surgical hooks were only added 4 days before surgery so this is very weird to me. :?

Cant understand why they would need to put them on so early as all my ortho did was remove the archwire and slide the hooks on, then crimp them tightly into place.

If there definatley surgical hooks id want to know why theyve been put on already.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/

Jenna28

#5 Post by Jenna28 »

Sorry for the confusion... I have the self-ligating metal brackets, and the hooks are not on the wire, they are on the brackets - I have "normal" brackets on my front two teeth, and all the other teeth have brackets with hooks. The technician even double-checked with the ortho, because I guess she thought it was odd, and he said somethings like, "yes... that does say hooks on all teeth b/c she's a surgical case". Is this still weird?

jennielee81

#6 Post by jennielee81 »

Sounds like these are special brackets used for surgical cases.

Probably not normal (as in ordinary), but also not weird...does that make sense.

I had a total of 12 hooks in my mouth, but 8 of them were on molar brackets. Only had 4 on the archwire in the front.
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

bracedintx

#7 Post by bracedintx »

That's interesting. I have self-ligating brackets...I currently have 20 hooks in my mouth--canines back to molars, 5 on each side, top and bottom. 8 of them were added to the archwire later in treatment, the rest come on the brackets. The ones that are twisted onto the archwire are a pain in the neck to clean around, so maybe that's why your ortho gave you hook brackets instead? Hang in there :wink:
self-ligating metal brackets all around

cybersiren

#8 Post by cybersiren »

I have had 18 hooks on since day 1. (going on 18 months now) I feel your pain! It was odd to me as well because I didn't have ANY hooks the first time I had braces. It was hard getting used to all the extra pokey stuff.

loulou123

#9 Post by loulou123 »

I agree with you meryaten, i thought it was fantastic to have my hooks on so near to surgery until afterwards, when my mouth was swollen and sore and still getting used to being poked at by the surgical hooks :? especially as post op i couldnt put wax over some of them as couldnt get to them.

Guess theres advantages to having them on early and getting used to them.

Braces on 11th June 2006,~ BSSO and Wisdom tooth removal 11th February 2008,~ Plate Removal 14th May 2008,~ Braces off 28th August 2008.

http://adultwithbraces.blogspot.com/