Chewing to ease discomfort

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Beckster

Chewing to ease discomfort

#1 Post by Beckster »

I am now 10 days in of having lower braces for the third time, and was doing pretty well as of a few days ago with pain, etc. Well, yesterday I started experiencing discomfort yet again.

To alleviate the pain, I wet a washcloth with cold water, and chewed on it off and on for a couple of hours. It seemed to work for a while....

My question is, was that as completely inane an idea for pain relief as I think it is?!(sorry for mental lapse on how to word this properly.) Anyone else tried this with any sucess???

Thanks guys!

~Becky
"In the depth of winter I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."-Albert Camus

Katt

#2 Post by Katt »

I used my bite wafer to help me out. So no you're npt crazy I think we all have our own ways :lol:

ReneG

#3 Post by ReneG »

I have rubber spacers jammed in between my teeth now. They ache when left alone. They hurt when I chew. I prefer the pain when I chew over the uncontrollable ache. So I chew on the rubber bits that stick out.
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

purpleteeth

#4 Post by purpleteeth »

My wires are heat activiated, so holding cold water in my mouth tends to help with the pain sometimes.

In terms of chewing, yes it does help me just to force feed foods that aren't mushy. It helps with my pain tolerance and nutrition levels.

I want a bite plate thingie, but I don't know if my ortho has them or not... hmm... I should probably ask at my next appointment in a little over 3 weeks.

PARR

#5 Post by PARR »

Chewing increases blood flow to the gums and teeth. That's good fer them.
I chew orbit gum...doesn't stick to anything metal and is sugar free.

Zuke

#6 Post by Zuke »

I chew sugarless gum (Extra was what was recommended to me) and I did chew on the wafer they gave me......

I wanted to chew on EVERYTHING..so whatever makes your teeth feel better, my ortho told me, the more you chew the faster the pain works its way out :-) Which is GREAT in my book!

Z
Zuke

Ceramic Uppers & Metal Lowers

Next Adjustment June 24th!!!!

To see my story click on www!

jennielee81

#7 Post by jennielee81 »

I chewed sugarless gum after most of my adjustments.

It helped tremendously!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

funshine

#8 Post by funshine »

I always want to put pressure on the teeth that are sore. It's kind of odd to say, but it hurts so good. Know what I mean?

Lisa65

#9 Post by Lisa65 »

so OK, who's been out and bought a freezable teething ring :lol:

I chew sugarless gum (Orbit) if my teeth are sore and it really seems to help.

melliemoo

#10 Post by melliemoo »

I bought a teething ring the first week. I think it was the third day that was the worst for me. I used it for two days and haven't used it since. It felt so good. The pressure hurt but felt good at the same time. I'm worried about my next adjustment but I'm going take ibuprofen as a prophylatic starting a couple of hours before my adjustment. Knock on wood---my teeth haven't really hurt since that horrible third day.

Jex

Front teeth are getting a workout!

#11 Post by Jex »

I got my spacers in last Thursday. They didn't really hurt at first and I must admit, I was like, "what are you guys talking about these things being bad? ya wimps!" :lol: Well, joke's on me. They are a constant irritation. I do sometimes like to bite down on them....why do we do this? :shock: Eating with my molars has been a joke. I now nibble everything with my front teeth like a little squirrel. I can't wait to get these things out, but I also know the braces go on right after they're removed, so to quote Dorothy Parker, "What fresh hell is this???" I'm a little scared right now, can you tell?

Jex

#12 Post by Jex »

thanks for the reassurance. Don't get me wrong---I'd love to lose a little weight from not being able to eat, but this has me a bit nervous. I suppose that is why God let us create analgesics. I need to start looking on here for other things I won't be able to eat and then I'll have a mock funeral for them Monday night. :cry: