I've been braced... regretfully

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TEXLADY

#16 Post by TEXLADY »

I like to refer to it as my "mental meltdown" that was last week when I was so depressed and disliking myself for making a decision to straighten my teeth later in life and severely restricting myself from eating my favorite foods -- this week I am much more resigned to it and getting better on the speed of flossing - a water pik helps keep them clean too. I send the ortho an e-mail every other day it seems with a new question ... but so far they are nice and helpful but I would imagine I am probably driving the office staff crazy and my e-mails are probably being discussed in humor.

adayinthelife

#17 Post by adayinthelife »

TEXLADY wrote:I send the ortho an e-mail every other day it seems with a new question ... but so far they are nice and helpful but I would imagine I am probably driving the office staff crazy and my e-mails are probably being discussed in humor.
:lol: Well, better to be safe than sorry right?

I'd love to invest in a Water Pik because i'm only hearing good things about them, but i'm afraid I can't spend the extra money right now because the price of braces is so high!

One more question (i'm obviously a newbie): Do electric toothbrushes make a difference? Considering buying one of Oral-B's but i'm not sure if it'll have a positive or negative effect... i'm desperate to get my teeth as clean as possible.

funshine

#18 Post by funshine »

I think toothbrushes are just a personal preference. Lots of people really like the electric ones, but I like regular old manual toothbrushes the best.

PfectPitch

#19 Post by PfectPitch »

Three things I would like to recommend: Oral B Vitality Toothbrush with Precision Clean head (be careful..one type of head is a no-no with braces) is only about $20 and SO worth it. It has a built in timer, too. Biotene mouthwash really helped me when I was adjusting as it doesn't have any alcohol and is very soothing. Oral B Super Floss in my opinion is worth buying. It makes flossing much easier, and if it's easier, you are more likely to do it. You may wish to check out the "Dental Do-Dads" message board for more tips.

JML0090

I got braced 5 days ago and am feeling really bad...

#20 Post by JML0090 »

Wow I expected that it would be tight and uncomfortable. But my cheeks are so ripped up and i feel so ugly as an adult in these things. I have metal bottom and clear top. It is depressing, but im hoping it gets better.

Anyone have advice? :cry:

Last edited by JML0090 on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adayinthelife

Re: I got braced 5 days ago and am feeling really bad...

#21 Post by adayinthelife »

JML0090 wrote:Wow I expected that it would be tight and uncomfortable. But my cheeks are so ripped up and i feel so ugly as an adult in these things. I have metal bottom and clear top. It is depressing, but im hoping it gets better.

Anyone have advice? :cry:
Firstly, congrats! You're closer to getting a perfect smile :D

As the poster of this "regretful" thread, you can believe me in saying it does get better. It's only been a week now for me, and it has already improved so much. I do feel young and silly in my braces, but I think i'm the only one who notices them! Honestly!

After a few days, my cheeks got used to the braces and now i'm not in pain at all. There have been a few times when I was bothered by something and had to apply some wax, but it's not nearly as bad as it was before.

That being said--i'm still concerned with how well i'm really taking care of my teeth. I brush after each meal, but still having some trouble flossing and not even sure if i'm brushing well enough. I've ordered an Oral B electric brush (thanks for the advice everyone) and the ortho head, so maybe i'll feel better once that arrives.

JML0090

Well i have finished my 6th full day still hurting...

#22 Post by JML0090 »

I belive it gets better but i cant wait until it does! :?

My dentist gave me a sonicare the day i got braces. I didnt start using it until i had my braces 2 full days. I decided today to just manually brush since im in such discomfort. I brushed my teeth for 8 minutes! lol but i did it slow and gently so i could get everything without being to rough on my mouth.

I have been flossing every night even though it hurts some. I have fairly white teeth and im very concerned with keeping that way so i wont slack on brushing or flossing even in pain.

Wax helps some but not enough. And wax is a pain to take off every time you want to brush and it gets food stuck in it.

I have tried the Rincinol rinse but found it works better if you take a q-tip and apply it to your cheeks instead. It doesnt make the pain go away to much but it promotes healing and seems to soothe some.

Still feel silly my cheeks are swollen and i dont feel like going in public... I know this will go away after my mouth feels better.

Here are my before braces Pic and the day i got them Pic.

OverJetSet

#23 Post by OverJetSet »

i find the silicone wax to be more effective in covering the pokey-outie-things (as opposed to the regular brackets). i went for a week with this routine: AMs sans wax, PMs nearly every bracket covered with wax, wax off for dinner, wax on for over night. magically after one week, i scarcely needed wax. i have been nearly wax-free (until today, coincidentally, 15 days later). i never had a mouth sore altho i am not predispositioned to mouth sores. (but it is still early SPAM SPAM SPAMMING :wink: )

JML0090

silicone wax

#24 Post by JML0090 »

Where do you get silicone wax at? If it works for those pokey things that are on my back brackets i need it! lol
thanks for the help :D

METALMOUTHPOOH

#25 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

Hello and welcome :wink:

I thought I would write and welcome u to this site :D :-1

I was like u in the beginning I couldnt buy enough wax (girl I even bought a case off the internet) and right now I am almost out.

BUT It truly does get better. At first I had to have wax on 24/7 but over time I used less and less.

Right now I am back on my wax (call me candle) since I had my 2nd set of bands put on yesterday...so once again the inside on cheeks are hating life right now.

Plus I like u today woke up and said why in the world did I get braces. But we have to be strong and know that time will pass and it DOES get better :wink:

Hang in there girl :-88

JML0090

Thanks guys and gals!

#26 Post by JML0090 »

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here. Im on day 7 and im just starting to feel better. If it hadnt been for everyones helpful hints ect i dont know how i would of got though it! It helps so much to have people understand how it feels! :banana:

Thanks again!! :tingrin:

adayinthelife

Re: Thanks guys and gals!

#27 Post by adayinthelife »

JML0090 wrote:I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who posted here. Im on day 7 and im just starting to feel better. If it hadnt been for everyones helpful hints ect i dont know how i would of got though it! It helps so much to have people understand how it feels! :banana:

Thanks again!! :tingrin:

I totally agree! Thanks so much everyone--I really appreciate it. I would be freaking out if I hadn't found this place :lol:

kristi

#28 Post by kristi »

I'm new here too and readin all of your comments helps so much with my questions! This is an awesome group!! :D
~ Kristi
Bottom teeth - b-day 2-19-08
Ceramics (crowding)
Top teeth - b-day 3-18-08
Ceramics ( canine correction and crowding)

Jex

this is what I'm afraid of

#29 Post by Jex »

I am a commitment phobe. (Although I'm very happily married, it took me two years to get used to the idea! LOL) I am so afraid that I am going to get these things on and then FREAK OUT :shock: My contingency plan involves: 1) packing the entire brackets and wire with wax 1/2 an inch thick and 2) only giving it three weeks and then I'll decide if I should keep them on.

I guess it's mostly because I don't really have teeth that scream "straighten me!" and so why am I subjecting myself to this. I only have spacers right now and get the braces Tuesday.