Just how bad is soda for your braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jenna28

Just how bad is soda for your braces?

#1 Post by Jenna28 »

Does anyone out there have any horror stories that were a result of drinking soda? If not, then I'm popping a can first thing in the morning! I've been trying to be really good since I got my braces last week, but I think I just might lose my mind if I go much longer without my Diet Mountain Dew. I didn't realize that I was actually addicted to it until I stopped drinking it. Five days without the stuff has nearly done me in! So, just how bad is soda for your braces? Will I be okay if I only have one soda a day, drink it through a straw, and brush right after, or will my brackets all fall off?

Jenna28

#2 Post by Jenna28 »

Thanks for the info, Meryaten!

TEXLADY

#3 Post by TEXLADY »

You might also try proenamel (by Sensodyne) toothpaste. It is supposed to help strengthen & protect enamel from acidic foods and beverages.

Zuke

#4 Post by Zuke »

I drink Diet soda, but I do always take a good drink of water afterwards to get it all off my braces if I can.

This has actually forced me to drink more water, I do NOT like water, but I am now learning to like it :)

My ortho didn't seem too worried that I drank diet soda....
Zuke

Ceramic Uppers & Metal Lowers

Next Adjustment June 24th!!!!

To see my story click on www!

JML0090

tea

#5 Post by JML0090 »

I do have a question if anyone might know the answer. So I drink sweet tea and was wondering if that was better for your teeth than soda? I know its bad b/c it has sugar and can stain teeth. But its not acidic as soda is right? So you could brush right after? and wont have to worry about softening the enamel? Am i right or wrong on this?

sean83

Re: tea

#6 Post by sean83 »

JML0090 wrote:So you could brush right after?
No, you definitely shouldn't! Best to rinse with water where possible after drinking things you shouldn't.
It's all gone a bit dental...