Tomorrow`s the Big Day !!!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

METALMOUTHPOOH

#31 Post by METALMOUTHPOOH »

Welcome and congrats :wink:
After the 1st week it will be alot better just remember lots of water and loads of wax :!:

I still use wax I order so much off the internet u would think I am going into the candle business :P

Plus I love my blistex lip ointment....cant live without it :shock:

JML0090

hang in there

#32 Post by JML0090 »

Please hang in there! ?I too wanted them off after day 3 but at day 7 i was feeling so much better and i was glad i still had them on. If the dentist could of got me in before day 7 i would of taken them off! But i stuck it out and now i feel fantastic. I no longer hurt and im used to the way they look on me. You WILL get through it and feel better, its just a matter of a few days or at most a week.
And that orabase helps alot as mentioned above by Jex. I used the otc one.

good luck you will be looking good in no time now! :wink:

mazdagirl

after the first night

#33 Post by mazdagirl »

So last night I feel asleep and woke up this morning feeling pretty rotten, called in and taking the day off work.

I have a tooth missing on the top ( and one on the bottom). Well the top one just before the gap has a bit of receding gum and thats the tooth that hurts the most. the wire goes all the way to the back tooth there so maybe its pulling it ? I stuffed my mouth full of wax last night and ill do the same tonight. I rinsed my mouth with warm salt water and that seems to help.

I really hope I can get use to these, ill give it a couple of weeks to see. Both my kids had braces ( one still does) and I never imagined what they where going true. Had I known I prb wouldnt have gotten these on. But if I can get use to these Ill have lots to look forward to, a live free of the pain of TMD and a new smile!

Still feel like crying ...but ill make it somehow!

browneyedgrl

#34 Post by browneyedgrl »

Hi Nancy,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have a good night! That makes two of us. I had an adjustment yesterday and my lowers are killing me, nothing like waking up in the middle of the night in pain!

It's good that you're taking the day off, I went into work the day after and was miserable. No one knew that I had gotten braces and I was very quiet. I couldn't wait to get home!

Lay low and relax, defintely use your OTC pain reliver, wax and stay hydrated. You will totally get used to your braces, just give it some time. The first couple of days are the hardest, but you'll get through it!

Take care,

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

mg

#35 Post by mg »

My heart goes out to you. Hang in there and read some of the amazing stories about the journeys many have been on and are on while braced. Some have had quite invasive procedures and just look at their smiles! It is comforting to know we are not alone. If it were not for the handholding, the pictures, the advise, the information from this site (and my hubby :wink: ), I'd have many more questions and tons of doubt, especially, "What the heck did I do, what the heck are they doing to me?"

For all of us, this journey is a positive step towards good health and a great smile. This cannot be achieved simply. It takes time, a lot of work, time and a lot of patience (not so easy for an A type like myself :-* ), effort (brushy, brushy, flossy, flossy (ain't that a new experiene?!) and time. Did I mention time??

The first weeks suck, no doubt. The pain goes away; your cheeks and tongue get used to the hardware.

Treat yourself well: get a smoothie, an advil, perhaps a massage. Be comforted by the group here.

Trust me, I'm writing this as much for me as anyone who is on the journey. It's a big step. I'm only 3 weeks in (4 if you count those evil spacers) and just now beginning think life is ok in full metal with a TPA (just installed 2 days ago).

ok, I'll step off the soapbox now :oops:

Feb 12 '08: Full Metal Upper & Lower
Mar 04 '08: TPA until crossbite is corrected
Feb 03 '09: TPA removed: out of crossbite!!
Feb 12 '10: Sentence 24 months give or take
Sep 21 '09: BRACES REMOVED!!

adilap

#36 Post by adilap »

Hi Mazdagirl

My first night was rough too. I took pain medicine and put wax all over. Today I am more sore than yesterday but I keep telling myself to relax and it will be fine.

mazdagirl

just got back

#37 Post by mazdagirl »

Just got back from the dentist ....one of my top molars is really in pain. I have a deep filling in there and now they think Ill need a root canal! The dentist froze everything and cut the wire on that side about half way back. I called the orthos office and told her I wanted the braces off.

Just waiting for the Ortho to call me back , I am going to prb go up there today to have these removed. I cant take this anymore!

Jex

#38 Post by Jex »

I am so sorry to hear this! Do you think maybe most of your pain/distress is caused by that naughty tooth and not the braces? I can totally understand your distress and I admit that my greatest fear is a root canal. I wish you luck with it. Please let us know how you do!

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

JML0090

hang in there!

#39 Post by JML0090 »

HANG IN THERE!! :yikes: I felt the SAME WAY as you but i PROMISE if you wait 2 or 3 days max you will feel totally different about your braces. :thumbsup: Trust me!! The pain goes away you get used to them and feel better about the way you look in them. Try it a few more days then make a decision or you might regret it.

browneyedgrl

#40 Post by browneyedgrl »

I'm so sorry that you are having issues with your tooth. Maybe that is causing a lot of your pain.

I agree with JML0090, try and stick it out for a few more days. The first 2-3 are the hardest.

Please, keep us posted!

B
Started the journey for the second time on January 10th 2008~Ceramic uppers and metal lowers. Removed on June 2nd 2009.

[/url]

mazdagirl

im back

#41 Post by mazdagirl »

Well just got back from the Ortho`s office, and I have a terrible story to tell:

****went to the dentist this morning...they cut the wire on that side and froze my mouth

****left there and drove to orthos office...45 mins away, got there and was told that they would take the wires off ..but can only take the brackets off on the 24 march

So here I am at home, with brackets and no wires. My situation is this...I have a big problem with receding gums on the top ( painfull side) so i will need a skin graft done, and also some major root canals on that side as well.
My dentist explained to me I should have been referred by the ortho to a periodontist to address and fix my gum issues. I have decided to get it all removed and then go ahead with fixing my gums and teeth. The dentist explained that will fillings that are that deep and close to the nerves its the reason for so much pain. As for the gums , thats something the ortho should have picked up on before putting on the braces. I was literally felling last night on that whole right side like someone was pulling my teeth out! Now i have to deal with the pain of having these brackets cutting up my mouth for over 2 weeks ( as they are closed till the 24th) and then getting them removed.

I am disappointed and frustrated in the whole situation and hoping for the best outcome possible. I will be looking into finding a new ortho, and waiting for everything to be ok. I am just scared silly right now, the dentist said I could have lost those teeth with the gum problems , had I left the braces in.

JML0090

wow

#42 Post by JML0090 »

Wow,
I agree your ortho should of picked up on the gum thing at your consult! Your lips and cheeks wont hurt but a couple days so you wont be suffering till the 24th. :( sorry about what happened. I wish you lots of luck on this.

mazdagirl

#43 Post by mazdagirl »

I called another orthos office after my last post to inquire on a consult for later on....much later on ! I told her about my receding gums and she was very surprised I was put in braces with that kinda gum problem!

She said its possible after a skin graft , but NO WAY should a patient with receding gum get braces ! I felt that they listened to me more than my orthos office, well cant wait for the 24th and to start another journey, this time with root canals and grafts before braces !

My cheeks are hurting as are my teeth and gums where I have all the problems, I really dont feel like I am able to trust entirely after this. Am I just being a big baby? Kinda seems that way to some people I talk to....including a few of my friends.

Jex

#44 Post by Jex »

Mazdagirl, that's horrible! :shock: Is there maybe a kindhearted ortho around who will take the brackets off for you before then? Tell 'em you'll pay $50 if they'll just take them off. I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I hope it all works out.

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

browneyedgrl

#45 Post by browneyedgrl »

Nancy,

That is aweful!!! I can't believe that happend and now you have to wait almost 3 weeks to get the brackets off.

You are not being a baby at all. You trusted this person with your teeth and it should have been picked up on when you went in for your initial consult. What did they say? Were they nice about it?

Feel better.

B

[/url]