How quickly can a tooth decay?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joney

#1 Post by joney »

Hi all

I'm hoping somebody will know the answer to my question. I need to get a filling done (not to happy about this as it will mean a trip to the ortho for bracket removal, trip to dentist for filling, trip back to ortho to get bracket put back on), however I have no choice as it needs doing.

My dentist can't fit me in for the filling until April 17th. What I'm wondering is if it is possible for a cavity to grow and grow rather quickly between now and April 17th or am I worrying for no reason?

Regards
Joney
2 Extractions 2nd November 2006
Brace On 10th November 2006
Top brace off 26 June 2008 (19 1/2 months)

edster

#2 Post by edster »

I'm sure you'll get alot of varying answers, but it is certainly possible for decay to stop.

I have cavity in a wisdom tooth that is in arrested decay. It doesn't hurt me ever and when the dentist poked it she said it was not soft. We are waiting for the tooth to be pulled up a bit before she fills it.

I think if you maintain very good hygiene you should be okay.

cybersiren

#3 Post by cybersiren »

I had a "mystery spot" on a tooth that my dentist was keeping an eye on for almost 2 years before he decided that it really was decay and not just a stain as he had originally thought. Even after that long, it was still just a tiny spot of surface decay that had barely went through the enamel. I had it filled with no novacaine and I didn't feel a thing. Even after all that time it hadn't penetrated deep enough to do any real damage. Don't worry. You'll be okay.

kirjax

#4 Post by kirjax »

I also had these "soft" spots on my enamel that were apparently shown in my xrays 6 months prior to them finally saying okay we better take care of them now. They were very little cavitites so as long as you take care of it I am sure it will be fine until that date.

Sentenced: 20-24 months
Braced May 11, 2007
Debraced Feb. 23, 2009
21 months in braces, 17 months in elastic, NO regrets!! Now in Hawley retainers!!

Malzee

#5 Post by Malzee »

It also depends. I'm getting fillings tomorrow (3, ew) and they said they are just on the surface so they do not need to remove the brackets. I'd double check. But if you use flouride rinse and really take care of your teeth you should be fine. I had to schedule mine for weeks from when they first found them and they weren't worried about me putting them off.