Almost Done! & A Question for Lionfish

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cybersiren

Almost Done! & A Question for Lionfish

#1 Post by cybersiren »

Hey everyone! I have been in braces for almost 18 months now. I have been lurking for a while but I don't post much. I was originally estimated to be at between 20-27 months but my ortho says things are moving much fatser than he thought they would. I have an appointment for tomorrow to get impressions taken for my tooth positioner (a removable finishing appliance that I will wear to close a few minor gaps). I am not sure, but from what I have researched it takes about 4 weeks to make the positioner and then the braces get to come off! I will get more information from my ortho about how long the wait will be and how much I will have to wear it before getting my retainers, but I am so excited! By this time tomorrow I should know my debanding date!

Also, lionfish, I remember you telling me about your positioner. Do you remember about how long you had to wait while it was being made? Also, did you get to choose a color or do they just come in clear? Thanks!

cybersiren

#2 Post by cybersiren »

Thanks jt2lang! I can't wait till my adjustment tomorrow!!!

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

Congrats on your pending debanding, cybersiren.

I think I waited about 3 weeks for my positioner to arrive, during which time I wore temporary esssix type retainers. It didn't occur to me to ask for a colour, so I ended up with the clear version.

cybersiren

#4 Post by cybersiren »

I didn't get the answer I was hoping for today. My ortho told me that while it would only take a couple weeks to make my positioner, I won't be ready to wear it quite yet. He added a new wire, a power chain, and some different elastics this time and said that debanding would probably happen within the next 1-2 appointments. My next appointment is on April 11th. My hope is that they will be ready to come off by then but I will probably have to schedule another appointment after that specifically for debanding. I might make it to that 20 month estimate after all. BUT the good news is that my ortho is pretty confident that I will only have to wear the positioner for about 8 weeks before I get my Hawleys. AND he thinks I'll only need to wear it about 5 hours a day. YAy!

ilovemacs

#5 Post by ilovemacs »

cybersiren wrote:My next appointment is on April 11th.
Awesome!! That's my birthday!!! Well it's good news that debanding may be 1-2 appointments away! Good luck!! :lol:

SinOnYourLips

#6 Post by SinOnYourLips »

cybersiren, I know it might sound like 2 moths is avery long time, but take it from me - time flies! Just 2 weeks ago I was posting about how long it feels til my debanding (this friday) and look at that its already 3 days away!

Just want to say, hang in there, distract yourself, but occasionally do remind yourself of how awesome it will be very VERY SOON! :D

Best of luck and congrats !

Estimated Treatment Time: 12 months to life

lionfish

#7 Post by lionfish »

BUT the good news is that my ortho is pretty confident that I will only have to wear the positioner for about 8 weeks before I get my Hawleys. AND he thinks I'll only need to wear it about 5 hours a day. YAy!
If that's all the time required, nights should do it. I wore mine for approximately two months nights only before moving to permanent retainers. I did start with 48 hours of FT wear (less eating time, of course). Not the most pleasant thing, but for 2 days of my life I figured I could cope.

And yes, the time will pass very quickly.