I'm getting my bottom braces on tomorrow! Any advice?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

XCrun&ride

I'm getting my bottom braces on tomorrow! Any advice?

#1 Post by XCrun&ride »

Hey everyone!
I've had braces on my top teeth for over 3 months now, and I'm getting braces put on my bottom teeth tomorrow. I have spacers in right now. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me? Is the procedure the same as getting the top ones on? Is there much of a difference between the top and bottom braces in terms of comfort, appearence, etc? Any advice would really be appreciated! Thanks! :D
PS - Any advice on colors? I have a blueish color on the top right now, and I think I might stick with that color.

cosmicgirl

#2 Post by cosmicgirl »

Go for it!
It's the same procedure - lip spreaders, horrid glue, blue lamp and that feeling of being punched in the chops....
I find that the bottom brackets tend to dig into my lower lip more than the upper set, but wax soon fixes that.
I wasn't going to bother having my bottom teeth braced as I didn't think they would be noticed.
WRONG!!!
I am SO glad I had them wired too as they have improved enormously and look better than my top teeth!

XCrun&ride

#3 Post by XCrun&ride »

Thanks for the reply! I was worried that the braces would rub more against my bottom lip, and I really don't want to have a big puffy lip, but I'll see how it is tomorrow. It will be worth it when they come off!

mary.

Same for me

#4 Post by mary. »

I had my upper braces for a number of months and got my lower ones on just two weeks ago. I found the process quite similar, and actually found it smoother than I expected both times. The second time was easier because I knew that I trusted them and that there was no pain involved. I just found there to be a similar adjustment period to be able to eat properly and be comfortable for both of them. I find a bit more food gets caught in the lower ones, but that's pretty minor.

Nothing at all to worry about. I would however recommend treating yourself to some good food before you have to adjust all over again.

Good luck with it all - it'll go great! And congrats... one more step towards a beautiful smile.

XCrun&ride

#5 Post by XCrun&ride »

Thanks for the encouragement!

theroo

#6 Post by theroo »

hey man, i just got mine done on Tuesday! (i.e. had upper braces on for 3 weeks and just got my lowers done)... how's it going?

For me i find that my tongue doesnt like it very much, since it cannot really touch the bottom braces very much. for some reason i kind of cannot help but rub my tongue against the braces all the time, and the underneath of my tongue is rather sensitive so i have gotten an ulcer already! aughhh...

other than that, my lower teeth are smaller but i dont think that's the reason why, but it feels like there's a glue sticking my lower teeth to my lips... anyway. i take comfort in knowing that it'll soon feel like my top row which is like nothing's there!

keep it going!

theroo

#7 Post by theroo »

hey man, i just got mine done on Tuesday! (i.e. had upper braces on for 3 weeks and just got my lowers done)... how's it going?

For me i find that my tongue doesnt like it very much, since it cannot really touch the bottom braces very much. for some reason i kind of cannot help but rub my tongue against the braces all the time, and the underneath of my tongue is rather sensitive so i have gotten an ulcer already! aughhh...

other than that, my lower teeth are smaller but i dont think that's the reason why, but it feels like there's a glue sticking my lower teeth to my lips... anyway. i take comfort in knowing that it'll soon feel like my top row which is like nothing's there!

keep it going!