I have a question for you all to think about!....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

sksk11

I have a question for you all to think about!....

#1 Post by sksk11 »

I have posted on the brackets club and braces stories sections about my hopes to get braces this year.

I have read so many success stories, and one thing I have noticed in some of the pictures is how many people smile with both sets of teeth after having their braces. I only ever smile with my top teeth, maybe this is because of my awkward bite and crooked bottom teeth, but I can't imagine what I would look like with a smile that showed two rows of pearly whites!

Can anyone tell me if their smile changed considerably after having braces? Did it take you a while to get used to it?

Also, I have dimples in my cheeks, which I love, and I wondered whether straightening my teeth will change them. Is there anyone who has experienced such a thing, or am I being silly :oops:
Last edited by sksk11 on Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wonky mcsnaggletooth

#2 Post by wonky mcsnaggletooth »

I am going the opposite way-I used to smile with both sets of teeth because I had to make sure to pull my lips out of the way of one lower canine that would rip my cheek if I smiled normally. Now I smile with only my top teeth, and it feels more natural. Also, I have developed a dimple in my cheek, which I love!

zero

#3 Post by zero »

ya know I never thought about that...I just looked at old pictures (pre braces) and noticed I used to only smile with my top teeth..but now I smile you can see top and bottom and it looks a lot better if I do say so myself..
I don't think you'll lose your dimples tho :)

MamaRoo

#4 Post by MamaRoo »

I would always smile with my lips over my teeth... I didn't like the way that my teeth looked when I smiled open mouthed... now I smile all the time with my braces showing... both top and bottoms... and I had never really thought about it until I read this post...

shayw

#5 Post by shayw »

I got my top braces put on yesterday and you can still see my dimples when I smile.

I find myself smiling bigger now that I have my braces on.

BoSox2008

#6 Post by BoSox2008 »

I never had dimples and never used to smile showing both upper and lower teeth. Now I have dimples and when I smile big you see both sets... I still have my braces until May/June but I hope I don't lose the dimples in that time! I think its cute.

Don't worry though, I think if you've got dimples, they aren't going anywhere.

nogota

#7 Post by nogota »

I smile with both my top and bottom teeth, and I've never lost my dimples when I had braces as a kid or now.

Good luck with everything! The results you'll get with braces are definitely worth all hassles and pain.

OverJetSet

#8 Post by OverJetSet »

maybe you have an overbite & your teeth don't show when your jaw is closed. when i smiled, you could see only my top teeth, and about as much of my upper gums:a "gummy smile", i guess. i never knew!! in fact i never really knew or noticed that most people's lower teeth showed to some extent, even with the jaw closed.

i never had dimples. is that a muscles or fascia thing?

Spanner

#9 Post by Spanner »

I think in some of the pictures on here the people are deliberately smiling to show both sets of teeth so that we can all see their progress.

When I smile naturaly you can only see my top teeth which is a blessing at the moment because my bottom teeth are awful and not braced yet. But, I could force a smile so that my bottom teeth also showed just for the benefit of the members here.

Does this make sense lol.

SnowSara

#10 Post by SnowSara »

My smile looks different than it did pre-braces, but I have not changed how my lips cover my teeth. You can never see my bottom teeth unless I pull down my bottom lip to show you. My smile is long and wide, but open enough to show both top and bottom at the same time.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

jennielee81

#11 Post by jennielee81 »

My smile is exacty the same as before braces except that my teeth are straight!

I repeat what Spanner said, that people deliverately show both arches on here to share the way both look. You can see in my before picture at the bottom of my post that I was basically showing my lowers in this BIG MOUTH "smile" picture.

See my "natural" smile (on the right) below to see my after....

Happy to have you here with us!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

SnowSara

#12 Post by SnowSara »

Oh yes, that is true, for photos on here I show both top and bottom so you can see the orthodontia! But that's not how I smile!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Lisa65

#13 Post by Lisa65 »

I do a "cheesy" grin in my pics on here so that both arches are visible, but normally my bottom teeth do not show when I talk or smile.

BoSox2008

#14 Post by BoSox2008 »

I agree! I would be mortified if my real natural smile was the same as my progress photos on here : )

Some people have bigger mouths/lips etc. and naturally show more teeth. I have a friend who shows all her teeth but she can barely close her lips over her top teeth when she isn't talking. Its hard to explain but some people's lips are just different.

Regardless of how many sets of teeth or dimples you can see, I'm sure you will be THRILLED with your smile after braces and it will be fantastic no matter what!

KianaFran

#15 Post by KianaFran »

I've been braced only about a month but I have always smiled with both sets of teeth! My nickname was smiley in high school. I know people who do both but i think for some it is just how you smile normally. If you naturally have a big smile but was restricted from smiling as big as you could because of your teeth, your smile will likely be a big smile and vice versa.

This is just my 2 cents!
4 Wisdom teeth extracted
4 First bicuspids extracted
1 Trans-palatal arch
4 springs
Silver ligatures
Damon brackets
And a partidge in a pear tree!