face mask/reverse pull head gear?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

raysun

face mask/reverse pull head gear?

#1 Post by raysun »

I am looking to chat with someone who is wearing or has worn a face mask. I believe I've seen it referred to as a reverse pull head gear as well. Mine is intended to pull my upper jaw forward. After being treated for TMJ with an neuromuscular orthotic and a then an upper expander, my upper and lower teeth come end in end in the front (as opposed the lower teeth fitting just behind the upper). So the face mask is meant to correct this problem without bringing back the TMJ.

I just got the mask two days ago. The biggest issue I am having with it is it is very painful on my chin. I'm developing a bruised bump there from the pressure of the chin strap. Has anyone experienced this? I am wondering if it will go away as my jaw begins to move. Or maybe my chin will toughen up. It's hard to sleep because the pain wakes me up. It also gives me a terrible head ache. Should I call my dentist and ask her about this or just stick it out and hope I will adjust to it? Just wondering if the pain is normal.

I'm also having trouble finding time to wear it the 14 hours a day my dentist suggests. I work a lot. And I can't wear it when I eat of course. I've gotten in about 10 hours a day the past two days. Trying to work up to more, but again because it is so painful, it's hard to keep it on.

I appreciate any advice people have.

Thanks,
Rachel

rmogen

#2 Post by rmogen »

Welcom to the club. I just got my braces on today along with the facemask as well. I have to wear mine 24/7 except when I eat so count yourself lucky. I had to wear this a few years ago in the first phase of my treatment. The pain gets a lot better, you just have to deal with it unfourtunately. Now with ibuprofen it helps. The more you wear it and the quicker the pain subsides, good luck.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

Hi Rachel, I have "regular" hi-pull headgear not RPHG, but I found my HG took a while to get used to (about a week). I just couldn't wear it for the recommended time straightaway, but had to build it up gradually because initially it made my teeth hurt too much. It also made the top of my head hurt from the pressure of the strap. That doesn't bother me now, but I still have tender bruised-feeling places just above my ears where the breakaway modules press into my skin.

In your position I'd be tempted to stick it out for another few days to see if it gets easier. Build the wearing time up gradually. Don't feel you have to get in the 14 hours straightaway as although a certain minimum amount of wear is needed, you still need time to get used to it and there's no denying that HG is a pretty uncomfortable thing. Have you tried taking some OTC painkillers like ibuprofen? I found that taking them regularly helped in the first few painful days. A feather pillow helps with sleeping, as you can squish the pillow into the right shape leaving a kind of groove for the HG to fit into.

I can't advise you specifically on the RPHG, but if it continues hurting your chin after another few days, then perhaps it might need a slight adjustment and you should consider popping in to see your orthodontist.

There are one or two people here who have worn facemasks, so hopefully they will see your post and have some more specific advice for you.

Good luck with it.

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

We cross posted. I don't envy either of you :? but it's good that you both got the RPHG at the same time as at least you will be able to support each other.

starryeyedfairy

#5 Post by starryeyedfairy »

i had to wear a facemask about a year ago (that process is done now... thank goodness!)
i had a hard time on my chin as well
in fact i even have a tiny scar as a result
in regards to the pressure - thats normal - but if its really bothering you, then definitely pop into ortho
my situation was, was that iwas cutting a groove into my chin (hence the scar)
so i had to reapply the pads
but before i did that, i just substituted with a few pieces of toilet paper/tissue paper to create a barrier between the contraption and my skin

class3citizen

new too

#6 Post by class3citizen »

Hi,

I also will be wearing a facemask in the near future to bring my upper jaw forward. I am very worried about how it will feel, and from your description I take it will not be a walk in the park. Anyway, stick with it and keep us posted. I would certainly like to know how you get along over the next few weeks. Also, any suggestions on pain and discomfort-relieving strategies will be greatly appreciated...