Anyone experience a situation like this with their braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newguy

Anyone experience a situation like this with their braces?

#1 Post by newguy »

I just got my lowers braced this morning, but when I tried to floss between my central incisors and between my central incisor and lateral incisor, I couldn't get the floss through to the gums. I noticed a clear-like substance between the gaps. I thought that this was the excess glue/adhesive the ortho used to adhere the brackets. It is quite hard. Btw, my front lowers are very crowded so the brackets on some of the front lowers are pretty flush with the tooth next to it.

I decided to call my ortho and tell him about the flossing incident and that there was excess glue that managed to get between some of my lowers. He assured me that it was sealant and NOT glue. He said not to worry and that he needed the sealant to strengthen the brackets’ position on some of the teeth. It seemed like it he meant to have it there. I left it at that.

Then I began thinking that this hard, clear sealant would prevent the individual lower front teeth from moving separately because some of them are “stuck’ together.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Am I paranoid that my lowers won’t straighten out because they are “stuckâ€
Dec. 22, 2007 - Upper and lower premolars extracted.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Uppers braced with ceramics.
Jan. 26, 2008 - Lowers partially braced with metal. Front four will be braced with ceramics (TBD).
March 22, 2008 - Lowers fully braced. Front four with ceramics.

lionfish

#2 Post by lionfish »

I didn't have sealant get stuck, but I did have one incident where glue got between my teeth. My ortho removed it.

newguy

#3 Post by newguy »

thanks, i will ask again.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Upper and lower premolars extracted.
Dec. 22, 2007 - Uppers braced with ceramics.
Jan. 26, 2008 - Lowers partially braced with metal. Front four will be braced with ceramics (TBD).
March 22, 2008 - Lowers fully braced. Front four with ceramics.

hank hill

#4 Post by hank hill »

my bottom two fromt teeth are also kinda stuck together with what looks like glue. I havent asked about it, ive been through two adjustments and i suppose he must have seen it by now. But im not sure next time i will bring it up. You have a really good point about the teeth not being able to move because they are stuck.

ReneG

#5 Post by ReneG »

I had a lot of glue maybe it was sealant? stuck between my teeth making it impossible to floss. I figured if floss couldn't get there, neither could food. But wherever I could poke my SuperFloss in (the base at the gum between teeth), I flossed.

This lasted all of three days (after being braced) before all the stuff wore off or simply fell off. I do have difficulty getting floss between some teeth but they do get in so I do floss.

My dental hygiene has never been better :lol:
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!