Archwire in or out for my cleaning?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

breal87

#16 Post by breal87 »

I have my cleaning next week and they did not ask me to take the wires out - but they might ask me to come back for the cleaning since i get the braces off March 3

Test

KatieBug

#17 Post by KatieBug »

My dentist asked that it be removed once I get the braces on...but I don't really care because they are right next door to eachother! Convenient huh :wink:

-KatieBug

[/url]

Carolinahigh12

#18 Post by Carolinahigh12 »

Same for me, my general dentist prefers to leave it in. 1) less time for me to travel back and forth between two offices, and 2) more comfortable because my teeth will feel pretty loose with it.
[/url]

[/url]

[/url]

~~~Nicole~~~

MsVarlene

#19 Post by MsVarlene »

My dentist does not have a problem with leavign the wires on. In fact they said to leave them on.

redwingzfan

#20 Post by redwingzfan »

I asked my dentist and they said to leave the wire on too.

-David

purpleteeth

#21 Post by purpleteeth »

I have had 1 cleaning so far and I have my 2nd cleaning tmr. My archwire was left on last time and Im assuming it will be left on tmr. They are used to cleaning with braces and they have this nasty sand junk they spray all over my teeth to get in and around the brackets --- it hurts!

I dont think I have an option to have it removed, but I am perfectly happy keeping it in. My dentist's office was the one who recommended my ortho and I trust they know what they are doing and what the other one expects.

MissDiana

#22 Post by MissDiana »

My ortho suggested I get it out for my cleaning, and my dentist's office acted as if they had never heard of such a thing.

I don't really like my dentist, actually.
Braces on 4/4/07 -
Braces off 3/31/08!

Gennel

#23 Post by Gennel »

My dentist said to take off wire for every other cleaning that I didn't always have to remove them for cleanings. Also right now I have a lot going on my bottom teeth so I will be leaving the bottom wire on and having my ortho take off the top one that only has the wire and ligs.
My bottoms have springs and the tightest powerchain which has hurt like H__L! the last two adjustments.

It can be done with wire on but it did take a few more minutes to clean.

It's funny because the dentist receptionist was the one who first told me "remember to have the wires off when you come for your cleaning"
I asked the hygienist and she said she had no problem at all cleaning with wires on... So I don't know why the receptionist was so insisting on having my wire removed if she wasn't going to do the cleaning!The receptionist said I HAD TO have them off. But the neither the dentist or hygienist said so....

Gennel

JerryW

#24 Post by JerryW »

Well I forgot to update this post, I had my teeth cleaned with the wire in and they never said anything about asking to remove the wire so I didn't bring it up. They said I was doing a great job with keeping everything clean, even after that they insisted that I have another cleaning in 3 months. Everything is going well!