just wondering???

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mazdagirl

just wondering???

#1 Post by mazdagirl »

my son who is 13 went in on monday for an adjustment. They changed both his top and bottom wires and elastics. The wires are bigger now and the ortho said its only gonna be another 4 to 6 months till his treatment is done.

Since Monday and the change in wires , his teeth have been hurting pretty bad. More than any other adjustment he`s had in the past 2 years in braces. Just wondering if its normal to experience more pain when they move up to a bigger wire?

His teeth look amazing and I cant wait for them to come off.....any advice on the pain lasting this long?

SnowSara

#2 Post by SnowSara »

Agreed. While most of my adjustments were pretty painless, those appointments that I got a thicker wire, or the time a posted wire and tiebacks were put in were definitely more painful. I took a couple of Aleve for the pain and tried to get back asap to chewing normally, which helps. If he just got it on Monday it's not unusual to still feel it several days later, sometimes I wouldn't feel anything from an adjustment until a day or two after. And then sometimes yet I had movement in the middle of between adjustments, and would feel new aching teeth after weeks of feeling nothing at all. The wire's doing it's job, and thicker wires usually mean getting a step closer to finishing up treatment! How exciting!

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

mazdagirl

#3 Post by mazdagirl »

The elastics are the same littles ones that go around each bracket, the wires are probably whats causing so much pain. The elastics is something hes had since the beginning. Today its much better , but still some pain. Yeah the ortho said it should just be another 4 to 6 months and its all done! It is pretty exciting, when my oldest was on the end of his treatment he was switched to bigger wires thats why I asked if where are close to the end.

Is there a reason why they use bigger wires at the end? He is still wearing the elastics you take off for eating and stuff I just hope he wears them ALL THE time so we can just get them off soon.