relocating to different state while braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

monarch64

relocating to different state while braced

#1 Post by monarch64 »

I haven't been a very active member of this forum but have gotten heaps of knowledge from it, from the time I was anticipating SARPE and getting my braces installed. Sorry I havn't been more active.

So...I am coming back to this forum now to ask a very serious question : I may be relocating out of state in the near future but I am only halfway through my orthodontic braces procedures, i.e., I have another year to go before my ortho releases me from treatment. How do I handle this?

If I am braced, still need to complete treatment, etc., and move from IL to FL, what will happen? My IL ortho is always soooo busy and when I tried to ask him this question he completely blew me off and moved on to another patient. (He is not typically like this, don't mean to paint a negative picture of him, I've been so pleased with him so far.) but still, if I leave the state, can I just continue paying him the remainder of what I owe, and hope that another ortho will take over my braces care and I can pay him/her as well? It's not even about the payment...I am willing to pay both for their services, but I am worried that no one else will take on my case.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.

shoshiaf

#2 Post by shoshiaf »

There is a pretty good page here on Archwired about braces and moving.

http://www.archwired.com/Moving.htm

I am relocating to a different state this August and my orthodontist has referred me to another ortho in my new state. Also, my ortho office has agreed to forward my records to my new ortho, even if I choose to go with someone other than who was referred to me. I believe this is standard practice for any relocation. Other than that, I don't really know anything else about relocating with braces. I hope you find your answer!

DrBill

#3 Post by DrBill »

In todays mobile society it's not uncommon to have to transfer from one orthodontist to another.

If you're up to date on payments with your current orthodontist, you typically won't continue paying him after you move. You will, however, have to negotiate a new fee with the orthodontist continuing your care. Records are transferred and there is an official AAO transfer form (assuming he's a member) that your current orthodontist can complete that details the original diagnosis and treatment plan, bracket type and prescription, archwires, etc. Your current orthodontist may even be able to offer some suggestions about who to seek care from. While he may not know anyone personally, directories list orthodontists in each city, board certification, years in practice, websites, etc.

monarch64

#4 Post by monarch64 »

Thank you for your replies!

Bekah

#5 Post by Bekah »

Is it possible to set up an appointment time where you can have his undivided attention? I would think you could get one similar to a consult appointment. That way you can ask him questions for about 10-15 minutes.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

momof3

#6 Post by momof3 »

If it is possible I would get copies of your records and take them with you. Set up consult appointments when you get to your knew area.
Your orthodontist you have now more than likely is only going to look in a book they have that list orthodontist all over the country.

I moved in the last year. It was much easier for me to look for a orthodontist when I arrived in my new location. I had our old orthodontist send copies of my children’s records and had a orthodontist lie and say they never received them. They amazingly showed up when I went back a few hours later to get them. Obviously we didn’t go back to them. They were even recommended by my old orthodontist.

Ask people in your new area for recommendations‘. It may take a little time to find one that fits your needs but I am sure it will be time well spent.

momof3

#7 Post by momof3 »

double post