Retainer causing dry mouth...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

newmetal

Retainer causing dry mouth...

#1 Post by newmetal »

Since i've been given my retainer and i've been wearing it nightly i've been waking up with a real dry mouth and sore throat? I have one of those retainers that looks like a plastic gum shield but its clear?

Does anybody know if this is the retainer? And if it is are there any solutions to stop the mouth drying out over night?

Cheers

Newmetal

Chris

#2 Post by Chris »

I think this is a common problem. I usually get up at night and take out my essix retainer, rinse it, drink some water and go back to bed. :roll:
Make sure you keep it clean. I brush mine with toothpaste and a very soft bristle toothbrush. I also dip it into a part mouthwash/water solution (do not soak it). As for the hawley, I brush it also and dip it in apple cider vinegar/part water solution (again, I don't soak it). Some people say not to use those things because of the soldered joints but I haven't had a problem.
Top Braces June 2004
Bottom Braces November 2004
Debanded January 2007

newmetal

#3 Post by newmetal »

Thanks for your response Chris.

Much appreciated mate. Seems like everyone on this board has given up replying to posts so its good to get a response.I'm going to try the moutwash thing, maybe that will sort things.

Newmetal

Lisa65

#4 Post by Lisa65 »

You might get more replies posting on the naked tooth forum? Most of the people posting on this board do not have retainer experience just yet :(

Jex

#5 Post by Jex »

Biotene makes some mouth drops that help with dry mouth, as well as their dry mouth toothpaste. Good luck!

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

SnowSara

#6 Post by SnowSara »

I read that you shouldn't use toothpaste on essix style retainers, it can scratch and dull their appearance. I rinse with mouthwash with them in, take them out and scrub them with a soft tooth brush and rinse under cold water. Every few days I give them a soak in a denture cleaner and they come out sparkling clear again.

I already had issues with keeping hydrated while sleeping so have kept a bottle of water next to my bed for as long as I can remember, but now I just have to drink from it more often with my retainer in. Some nights are better than others, guess it depends on whether my mouth is open or not.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.

Betty Bat

#7 Post by Betty Bat »

I didn't respond to your initial "dry mouth" post because I seem to have the opposite problem (or maybe they are related). I seem to drool more with my retainers in! I guess if you drool enough, your mouth will get dry, but all I've noticed is the drooling part.

It could also be (and this is just speculation on my part) that you don't close your lips as tightly when you are wearing retainers. So, your mouth dries out as you are breathing?

And, SnowSara, I was told by my ortho that it was OK to use a gel toothpaste on my Essix retainer, but to avoid the regular pastes which are more abrasive. My Essix is almost a year old and looks pretty good, if I say so myself!

SnowSara

#8 Post by SnowSara »

Ah yes that makes sense. The pastes are quite more abrasive.

My ortho gave me the mouthwash rinse tip. I usually do it first thing in the morning and then let it air dry a bit while I'm in the shower and getting ready (bacteria on the retainer can't live in dry conditions). When I put it back in to go to work its fresh and clean! The best is after giving them a soak in the efferdent though, they're like brand new.

All Metal Uppers and Lowers - brackets placed with OrthoCAD

Braces on 2/1/2007, Removed 2/13/2008, now in Essix retainers.