A reason why I worry about bracket TYPE

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TigerLily

#16 Post by TigerLily »

LOL!

Actually I was thinking about braces and wrinkles tonight - I am also on a beauty forum and people were saying on that you shouldn't use straws to have a drink as it causes wrinkles above your lip! Dont think they've thought about people with braces.

TigerLily

#17 Post by TigerLily »

LOL!

Actually I was thinking about braces and wrinkles tonight.

I am also on a beauty forum and people were saying on that you shouldn't use straws to have a drink as it causes wrinkles above your lip! Don't think they've thought about people with braces though..

beth1966

#18 Post by beth1966 »

Post deleted. :oops:
Last edited by beth1966 on Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.

beth1966

#19 Post by beth1966 »

Posted the same thing twice so just going into edit to remove.

beth1966

#20 Post by beth1966 »

Meryaten wrote:Now, those are things to worry about and you'd be an automaton not to have been stressed going through that! Heck, I dig you fretting over the extractions. But don't sweat a few extra wrinkles (call 'em laugh lines!) and definitely don't stress some stained ligs! ;) You're obviously a survivor, and you definitely know for coping with physical pain (as well as emotional) so you're going to get through this braces thing.
Thanks Meryaten! :)

So those little pictures on your avatar - are those Star Wars?

Bekah

#21 Post by Bekah »

Wow, all I can say is that you have lived through a lot! I have a sister who is married to an alcoholic and doesn't think anything of it. He drinks like you late husband.

I agree that you should just call any wrinkles "laugh lines"! I stressed about the type of brackets to get too. I decided on all metal because like you, I am a little obsessive compulsive and I just decided if I couldn't get all ceramics, I would get all metal! I am playing the waiting game now.

I hope everything works out! Don't worry about staining. You can handle just about anything.
2 Years 4 months 3 weeks and 4 days in full metal braces!

Click on "WWW" for my braces story!

beth1966

#22 Post by beth1966 »

Thanks Bekah and Meryaten for your support!

*melissa*

#23 Post by *melissa* »

I opted for clear ligs when they asked which color I wanted -- very bad idea!!!!! Mine are so yellow and EWWWWWWies..I cant wait to go back and get new ligs. I am gonna try to get wire ties...yay!! I didnt know you could do that!! :D

beth1966

#24 Post by beth1966 »

"I opted for clear ligs when they asked which color I wanted -- very bad idea!!!!! Mine are so yellow and EWWWWWWies..I cant wait to go back and get new ligs. I am gonna try to get wire ties...yay!! I didnt know you could do that!! '

Its interesting - for every person that has your reaction there is someone who doesn't have an issue with it. I am very curious to see what happens with mine, especially when i already expressed my concern to the ortho and he said none of his adult patients have an issue with it. He told me he uses a certain color - not clear, but another color, and no one is bothered by staining.

*melissa*

#25 Post by *melissa* »

Do you know what I think it is? *Some* orthos carry the pearl colored ligs and some only have clear. When she (the assistant, as I hardly ever see the actual ortho argh!) showed me my color options, I was baffled. I asked for Pearl and she didnt know what I was talking about! She was like "Uhh, they only make clear, or you can get pink, orange, blue, etc" I should go kick her in the rear!! :lol:

beth1966

#26 Post by beth1966 »

Another factor I notice is the timeframe between adjustments - some people go 4-6 weeks between lig changes. My ortho will see me every 3 weeks.

Jex

#27 Post by Jex »

I have the Inspire Ice and when they were first put on, I had "pearl". They were great. Then, I had an audition and wanted my braces to be as unnoticeable as possible, so I had clear put on....I will NEVER do that again. I had the dingiest smile after just a couple days. I am back to pearl color and don't think I'll ever stray! :)

Tops went on March 4, 2008
Lowers go on May 30, 2008
Bracket Mullet---metal on the bottom (business), Ice (party) on the top!

silly123

#28 Post by silly123 »

You're story is just like mine...

When I went to get my braces on I had an actual list of colors I got from people on here!! Then the ortho insisted that I shouldn't get silver or any other type for that matter. I was very nervous. First she said they automatically give "glow in the dark" haha but she said they don't actually glow in the dark? Hmmm...

So the assistant, who had her braces off a few weeks back and was a smoker and a coffee drinker highly recommended what looked like YELLOW! I was appalled, but went with it, and when they were on it looked like nothing was there!!!! So far (2 weeks later) there is no staining, but I have been obsessive with straws and mouth washing...

She wasn't sure the color's name but I am guessing it may be "tooth colored" or tan?

beth1966

#29 Post by beth1966 »

Hi there -

YES that is it, that is the color he mentioned to me weeks ago - TOOTH COLOR!

I saw it today while there at the ortho's, there is clear which stain or tooth color.

I met a fellow adult patient with the ceramics - - boy hers looked yellow, BUT she also happened to have rather yellow teeth herself! And they told me she drinks tons of coffee and tea - so that is also why. They told me to be careful after I drink dark liquids - to brush, so I will give that a try. Not gonna stress anymore about it - its only 18 months! And if one thing doesn't work I will try another - I also know I will be a fanatic about brushing.

Lastly thank GOODNESS I HATE curry! LOL

Miss Smiley

#30 Post by Miss Smiley »

I'm not sure what brand my ortho uses, but lately, the clear ones he's been giving me have been pretty stain resistant for 3 weeks. Even with my dark soda, red pasta sauces, mustard, and soy sauce drenched Chinese carry out foods. The old ones I used to get would turn yellow/orange with one bite of tomato sauce pasta, now I can go through two plates and still sparkling clear! Soy sauce drenched food, I'm still looking good with clear. My brackets are like the Ice ones so I like bright colors or clear ligs on them.
Upper and lower 1st premolars extracted
Uppers braced 4/6/07 & Lowers braced 4/20/07
ceramic brackets and rectangular arch wires
Est. term: 30-36 months
De-banded: 3/04/09 w/ LBR and U&L Essix