Newbee

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bedrod

Newbee

#1 Post by bedrod »

Well here I am, almost 51 and on day 6 with braces, after 5 days with spacers. It is not what I expected. Infact when I first closed my mouth at the ortho's office I almost cried...well I did cry... I knew then that the opposite of insanity was acceptance so I am now working on that.... My problem is that I had a small piece put onto the back of my front tooth which is suppose to prevent me from closing my back teeth...which now prevents me from eating any solids... So the good news is I'm loosing weight, but I want to make sure I take in enough calories and nutrients. I am drinking protein drinks, soups, and other soft foods. Dr. says may stay on for 2-3 months to help realign jaw! Yikes! But rather than focus on the next 60 to 90 days, I am trying to focus just on today! But I could use some encouragement and advise on how to maintain good health during this process!

funshine

#2 Post by funshine »

Hello, welcome & congratulations!

I know it may seem like you'll never eat properly again, but believe it or not things get better. And fairly quickly too. We all have those "what have I done!?" moments, but just think of how beautiful your smile will be! It'll be so worth it. :D

funshine

#3 Post by funshine »

Hello, welcome & congratulations!

I know it may seem like you'll never eat properly again, but believe it or not things get better. And fairly quickly too. We all have those "what have I done!?" moments, but just think of how beautiful your smile will be! It'll be so worth it. :D

Katt

#4 Post by Katt »

I have never had the turbo stops, but I did have the what was I thinking moment. In fact I even posted it on here and I remember crying to my husband and asking him to get the pliers to pull them off. But the truth of the matter is after about a week I could chew on the back and then about a week after that I could bite down with my front teeth. Today I had my first adjustment and my front teeth are once again really sore but thanks to mashed potatoes and protein drinks I'm good. You'll make it through it I promise and as you see results it will be even better. Most of all congratulations though on making the choice to better yourself.

tazzle

#5 Post by tazzle »

welcome bedrod .... form another 51 year old just started ( 3 weeks ago) in braces :D :D :D

echo the others ....... it feels weird, sore , odd, awkward etc etc at first,,,,,, thanks to this board I knew that it WOULD get better .. and it has amazed me just how fast that has been....

I am sure we will have several " WHY" moments over the next year or two ....... but hey ......... its what we want- the end result - that keeps us going. :wink:

there are plenty folks here as support .......... and just keep mushing as high calorie food as needed till chewing gets easier. I DO want to lose weight so use the non chewing phase to stay away from my fave french bread etc ( actually crusty bread is TOTALLY off the menu for now as a bracket came off when I tried it at the weekend.) even ordinary ( for me granary) bread is a pain in that in sandwiches it gets stuck around the brackets and I need to clean teeth right after as I ahte the feeling of stuff stuck in there ............. so food I choose has to be worth the effort !!!!

so keep visiying .... you can get cyber hugs :D or cyber kicks :shock: as required ... or just jolly good advice and support !

[/url]

ImageImage

bedrod

newbee thanks you all

#6 Post by bedrod »

:lol: Hey thank you so much for your response... It always feels so much better when you hear the words "It gets better" from somebody who is actually walking on the same path as I. I hope to share this experience with all of you and someday, maybe I will be able to help another newbee thru this. I do want to share something I was told today. I am a professional and was speaking to an associate today and couldn't stop wondering if he was staring at my braces. When I shared this with another associate, he simply said "So what? if he was!" Man those simple 2 words was all I needed today to help me jump start my acceptance.... SO WHAT! is going to be my new braces mantra everytime I wonder/worry what I look like .... Thanks again to all

Katt

#7 Post by Katt »

I am all about the "So What" I actually like my braces and have a lot of fun smiling and showing them off. For me it's knowing that I made a decision to better myself and am proud of it!! I hope you continue with the confidence and smile proudly.

JerryW

#8 Post by JerryW »

Welcome, I'm another over 50 new at braces. One thing I have heard quite a few times is that the braces make me look younger, I like hearing that.
I have turbos and you do get used to them, just go slow for now and remember to cut up your food.
Good luck!

tazzle

#9 Post by tazzle »

I must say that I was so glad to finally be having something done to sort my teeth / jaw out that I was at the "so what" stage even before I got the braces on :lol:

I must admit that the only noticable "second glance" at the mouth area has been from a young lass at the checkout who had braces herself ....... kinda like .... "what ..... at HER age !!!!! ...... but that might have been my imagination of course :?

To friends I have explained why I have braces on ............ to others , I dont really care if they think adverse thoughts :wink: I know that I will feel much better when they have done their job.

[/url]

ImageImage

Eric805

#10 Post by Eric805 »

How are those turbo stops treating ya? Can you pronounce s's? I have had a bite plate for about a month and a half and still can't speak right, however my ortho would do the turbos if I want... I am still considering the option. Not being able to talk is sometimes torture for me. I just wish I could speed up time at this point.

wendy1208

#11 Post by wendy1208 »

bedrod-- after my braces went on, it took me close to 2 weeks to feel ok about them (and quash the occasional thought of, what the heck am I doing to myself? and why?) I know this will be worth it in the long run.
Some people who used to have braces don't always remember how much of a shock it can be, getting used to them. Fortunately there are people here who do remember!
I am 46 yrs old and going on 11 wks in braces.
Hope you are starting to feel better by now. Absolutely take it one day at a time :D
wendy1208

bedrod

Newbee

#12 Post by bedrod »

Well I made it for 11 days! And you all are right...you do get use to it little by little. The turbo piece is still difficult ‘cause since in prevents me from closing my back teeth I can't chew too many solids. So I have made sure I made some healthy food (or shall I say drink) choices. I am having Protein Boost with strawberries and banana's in the AM, then Slim Fast, yogurts, soups, fish, sweet potatoes, etc.... All things pre-braces I said I should be eating.... So in order to get thru this I am trying to embrace the positives (besides the ultimate positive.... but since I won't realize that for 719 more days....) I am just going to have to focus on eating healthy and loosing weight!!!!! As far as the “So whatâ€

tazzle

#13 Post by tazzle »

brill bedrod ........... glad things are looking a little better now :D

I have seen being braced referred to as a roller coaster ride ...... and I guess it is ( just like the rest of life really :wink: ) sometimes its the pits and other days all is ok in the world. I think though that as long as we can focus on the good bits and the long term reult we can get over the not so good bits ( like me having to wax up the banded molar today where it had caused a sore on my cheek).

I certainly noticed the braces generally more scratchy / uncomfortable today ........... but then realised because I was back at work and thinking more on other things after easter, I was not drinking as much. .... and I thought of Meryatin ( and others) giving that most wonderful of advice .... drink , drink , drink .and more drink :D

I have not got the "looking younger " bit yet either ..... but hey , I can live in hope :lol: :lol: :lol:

[/url]

ImageImage

HHB

#14 Post by HHB »

Hi there folks! I'm another newbie older braces wearer! (60) My Damon's, (top and bottom-clear on top and metal on bottom), have been on for almost 2 weeks, and I can identify with the "what am I doing" feeling. Thank goodness for this forum, I've learned so much from reading posts. Thank you Meryaten for your advice about drinking lots of fluids, and swishing with a salt water rinse. I've also purchased a water pik which is great! As for the looks and comments, the vast majority have been very positive. I am a librarian in a middle school, and I have some new-found credibility with all the braces-wearers in that school. Some have said they are "cool." High praise indeed! I was able to chew after the first week, and after challenging my front teeth on some pizza this weekend, my front teeth are much less ouchy when I bite down. (Another piece of advice I got from this forum-- don't baby your teeth). It's nice to know there are others out there going through the same thing as I am.