Non-healing canker sore!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gabi

#16 Post by gabi »

I get canker sores, I have 4 at the moment, and I've found Zilactin works pretty good -it creates a protective film over the sore that can last a few hours.
I was told that when rinsing with hydrogen peroxide, people with braces have to be more careful since the peroxide can bleach the exposed portions of the teeth.

SolarFeline

#17 Post by SolarFeline »

I've always used Kenalog at night and Bonjela during the day.

Kenalog is Triamcinolone Acetonide 1mg/g in emollient dental paste and Bonjela is Choline Salicyate 87mg/g.

Using these products, the ulcer has always healed up in 2-3 days. I would still get another appointment with your dentist, as you don't know what it is.

Scottman

#18 Post by Scottman »

My dentist said it is a Mucousyl. (sp?)

He said not to worry about it and to try avoid hitting it. He also said it should go away once my braces are taken off and if it doesn't go away, then he will remove it.

Thanks for all the help!!

ilovemacs

#19 Post by ilovemacs »

Good to know & glad you got it settled! :)

jennielee81

#20 Post by jennielee81 »

Mucosal means it is the lining of the lips and other places on the body that produce mucos. Here's a link to a nice description: http://www.netwellness.org/healthtopics ... cocele.cfm

Not sure why yours is so inflamed maybe continued irritation by your braces. I am sincerely happy you've seen your dentist about it! AND that it's not something serious!

I feel better!!
"Life is an occasion; RISE TO IT!" --Mr. Magorium
I wore Damon 3's and Opals for 20 months at age 42. Braces off January 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=3535 a little more about me here: http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/co ... 961130.htm

Spidey

#21 Post by Spidey »

Not sure if this is old news now or not, but here is a little tip I just saw from Dr. Oz...

And I have had TONS of these. One stubborn one has been on my mouth now for 3 ~4 weeks, and is just going away now after following this advice.

Extra vitamin C. Taking vitamins is great or chug orange juice if it isn't too painful. I did both..

Tannins from tea ~ use a wet tea bag, wet it in warm water then press on the cold sore for 10 min a day.

And don't forget Abreva! Thank god it isn't prescription anymore!! :)

¤sabrina¤

#22 Post by ¤sabrina¤ »

Spidey isnt Abreva for cold sores that are located externally?
my story -- http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=25125
February 29 2008 - initial consultation, records and spacers
March 17 2008 - molar bands
March 20 2008 - 2 upper 1st premolar extractions
April 17 2008 - upper jaw braced
April 24 2008 - lower jaw braced
May 1 2009 - primary left central incisor extraction

djspeece

Re: Non-healing canker sore!

#23 Post by djspeece »

As a nurse I would recommend checking with your physician before starting some of these remedies, especially if you are taking any prescription drugs. I'm not aware of any peer-reviewed research on the effectiveness of most of these treatments. Be careful, please.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying