Bad Breath

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

gramsinbraces

Bad Breath

#1 Post by gramsinbraces »

I feel like I have bad breath from the braces, I'm very picky about brushing, but seems like no matter what I do there is a taste in my mouth like I possibly have bad breath. Has anyone ever had this ? Any suggestions? CAn braces give you bad breath? Thanks
]

Top expander 12/2006
Top Braces Feb. 27, 2007
Top Expander removed 7/2007
Bottom expander 7/2007

Filip

#2 Post by Filip »

I feel cleaner than ever with my braces dental hygiene. Here's what I do:

I brush 3 times a day
I begin with a Waterpick:
Upper inside, chewing area, upper outside at 45 degree angle aiming upwards to clean the bottom side of the upper braces, and inbetween teeth/braces. Then upper outside at 45 degree angle aiming downwards to get the top side of the upper braces.
Lower inside, chewing area, lower outside at 45 degree angle aiming downwards to clean the top side of the lower braces, and inbetween teeth/braces. To finish, lower outside at 45 degree angle aiming upwards to clean the bottom side of the lower braces.
Then I continue to brush. Same procedure as with the WP. Upper inside, chewing area, outer side at 45 degree angle above and below braces. Same for lowers.

I floss maybe every 3 days, mainly my molars and under the molar bands, where fear things get caught.

Don't forget to brush your toungue thoroughly front and back. That's where most halitosis bacteria exist.

You can search here and Google for instructions too.

E.g. http://dentistry.about.com/od/dentalhea ... braces.htm

If you do this I think you should be among the cleaner mouths in the neighbourhood.

RPE for 5 months
In: 08-Feb-07 Out: 20-Jul-07

Molar rotator for 2 months
In: 24-Jul-07 Out: 14-Sept-07

kittymeow84

#3 Post by kittymeow84 »

I've always got a supply of sugar free extra strong mints on me (Eclipse in Peppermint) - those, combined with brushing three times daily means no bad breath!

And drink lots of water too!
Clickies on the "WWW" to see my braces story :)

DireWire

#4 Post by DireWire »

Let me suggest to floss after each meal.

Bad breath can have several reasons. One is foot decaying between your teeth and braces which can cause gum infections and cavities... and even worse breath.

I floss at lest once a day, usually twice. I had one area where the gum was infected and bleeding (and smelly... smell the floss after use)... but it went better quickly. Couple of days, and you can tell the difference.

DireWire
Bite plate gone for good after @3 mths