Tooth Soap??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HisBabygirl

Tooth Soap??

#1 Post by HisBabygirl »

(okay, shoot me if this has already been posted, but i honestly cant find how to look up old topics other than scrolling through and im lazy so..)

..now that i've said that..
has anyone ever heard of brushing your teeth with soap? me and my ex boyfriend heard of it a couple years ago and tried it for a couple months, but i started back using my arm & hammer because, well...it tastes good!! :)

but seriously, i wasnt really paying attention to how my teeth "changed" while i used soap, all i knew is that they felt pretty clean. anybody ever try it and actually pay attention to the results?

i HEAR that its pretty good for cleaning teeth and such, but im far from a dentist so i wouldnt know.
BraceDate: 2-04-08

Betty Bat

#2 Post by Betty Bat »

When I first got my Essix retainer, the instructions that I got from my ortho said to brush it with soap, not toothpaste (!). When I asked about this, the assistant said that it was OK to use a gel toothpaste which would be less abrasive than the paste types. But, until I got some gel toothpaste, I used Dr. Bronner's liquid soap on my retainer. If you've never heard of it or if you haven't read the label, you should because it's a real hoot.

I've used Dr. Bronner's as a toothpaste when I was backpacking - didn't want to carry a separate tube of toothpaste at the time.

I would think that the biggest differences between soap and toothpaste would be the abrasiveness (cleaning and/or whitening abilitiy) and the additives. Soap doesn't have fluoride, for example. Now, whether this is a good thing or a bad thing depends on your view of the additives.

But, to answer your question, yep, I've used soap.

Lisa65

#3 Post by Lisa65 »

The search function is disabled at the moment, but yes, I've heard of using soap for brushing teeth. I posted about it once before here but of course I can't find the post now :evil: or the article I quoted from.

The article I found suggested using an antibacterial liquid soap as an alternative to toothpaste. I tried it for a while just to see, but I really didn't like the taste of the soap. I didn't notice any difference for better or worse in the colour of cleanliness of my teeth.

HisBabygirl

#4 Post by HisBabygirl »

thanks for the replies!
BraceDate: 2-04-08

esmeraydances

#5 Post by esmeraydances »

And if you're going to use soap to brush your teeth, be sure to spit it *all* out when you're finished. Swallowing soap can lead rather quickly to diarrhea!