Went to get an adjustment after a month ....

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mgundevia

Went to get an adjustment after a month ....

#1 Post by mgundevia »

Went in expecting to be in a world of pain again like the first time. Being this is my second month now with everything in my month I was expecting them to remove my arch wire and then put in a stiffer one and then reband me.

However the tech who usually works on me just removed my bands and rebanded the same wire that I initially had! I asked and he said the wires are usually left in for 3 months before they go to the next stiffer one.

I feel this is wierd as I notice no additional tension on my teeth. Its almost like they have moved as much as they can for now..

Anyone else have this before?? I mean I dont wanna be wasting time but then again I am not an ortho.

Thanks

micachica

#2 Post by micachica »

Wires work for a really long time. The same one can be used for months. The continue working until they reach the shape they orginally were. You don't normally get a new wire at each appt. Just new ligs (maybe if you have them) powerchains, etc. So do not fret!! :)

lionfish

#3 Post by lionfish »

It's OK, the wire is no doubt still working for you. If it's any comfort, I had one wire for 9 months and there was still plenty happening there.

mgundevia

#4 Post by mgundevia »

Awesome - thanks a lot. It just feels weird as I was expecting them to tighten it and for some pain but wooohoo!!

esmeraydances

#5 Post by esmeraydances »

micachica wrote:The continue working until they reach the shape they orginally were.
Wait, seriously? Does that hold true even when there are "custom bends" in your archwire? Because if so, man, I'm going to have this archwire forever!

Karan's Mum

#6 Post by Karan's Mum »

I expected the same thing, but its been 2 months and 3 weeks and I'm still wearing the same archwire. They just mainly make everything tighther.. with some wire threads around my crooked teeth and stuff.. change the ligatures but they don't change the archwire.

I think its normal.. :D just check out my teeth now
viewtopic.php?t=25511

AngelOfLife

#7 Post by AngelOfLife »

Same here. Same wire was used for 5 months. Only then did they move onto a thicker wire. After a month or so in the thicker wire, it's been powerchains ever since.